Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VirtualBox installation only shows approximate 12"x9" scree at Fullscreen.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VirtualBox installation only shows approximate 12"x9" scree at Fullscreen.

Kubuntu 12.10 64 bit KDE 4.9.3

Following a tutorial that was actually made for Windows 7, I was able to install and configure VirtualBox which now contains Kubuntu 13.04. I am unable to find anything in the configuration that would explain this, but perhaps it is missing information if I were using a Kubuntu 12.10 tutorial. I was unable to find such a tutorial while searching; obviously I am coming up short once more. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I am fortunate to have a 28" monitor and would like to take advantage of the full screen, as is the case when I compute using my primary OS. The larger font helps these aging eyes. Since the new applications is not perfected yet, I expect problems. Unable to activate Dolphin or make all changes offered in System Settings, I was unable to solve the problem through Kubuntu 13.04 configuration possibilities. I am waiting for updats that may solve the problem, but perhaps it is an installation error on my part.

You most definitely can run Virtualbox full-screen, but you first might have to install the "Guest Addititons"
    In the menus of Virtualbox OS window, there will be am option for full-screen. The keyboard shortcut for this is your right-control-key + your F key

As 13.04 is still in development, there may be some features that are not working in VB until the xorg bits are finalized.

Comment

The guest utils should be installed by default in the 13.04 VM, to check run:

Code:
      sudo apt-get install virtualbox-guest-x11
      from the command line in the VM. If they weren't installed, reboot the VM once it finishes.

Then from the VM to set the display size run krandtray, that lives in the system tray as "Resize and Rotate", clicking it will give you options to set the display size.

Comment

I attempted to download and install "Guest Additions" a couple of times. The process failed; I thought it was probably because of how new the OS is, in fact, there was no information given relating to 13.04. Is there a command line instruction that would provide "Guest Additions" for our latest OS? I thought that might be the problem I am having. I just haven't been able to add the package. I am very excited to get help from you once more, my friend. Your "My System:" is more a reality than humor for me. Hah!

Comment

I installed the Guest Additions as you suggested. It appeared to install correctly, however after restarting the virtual machine, the same problem resulted. I pressed Ctrl f and the screen changed, nonetheless the desktop remained at approximately 12"x9" while the rest of the monitor became a light gray. I pressed right Ctrl f again and the area around the virtual screen changed to black, yet the virtual screen remained at approximately 12"x9". Thanks for trying.
          Originally posted by blackpaw View Post
          The guest utils should be installed by default in the 13.04 VM, to check run:

Code:
          sudo apt-get install virtualbox-guest-x11
          from the command line in the VM. If they weren't installed, reboot the VM once it finishes.

Then from the VM to set the display size run krandtray, that lives in the system tray as "Resize and Rotate", clicking it will give you options to set the display size.

Comment

Using Alt f2, I typed in krandrtray and tried to open the application. It would not open, so I used the command line. Here is the result of the command entry for same: vollom@vollom-VirtualBox:~$ krandrtray
            QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
            QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
            vollom@vollom-VirtualBox:~$

It seems to misbehave as suggested. Do you have any additional suggestions? Thanks for the help.
            Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
            I installed the Guest Additions as you suggested. It appeared to install correctly, however after restarting the virtual machine, the same problem resulted. I pressed Ctrl f and the screen changed, nonetheless the desktop remained at approximately 12"x9" while the rest of the monitor became a light gray. I pressed right Ctrl f again and the area around the virtual screen changed to black, yet the virtual screen remained at approximately 12"x9". Thanks for trying.

Comment

Working...
            X