• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dual boot help

Hello to you all!
    Making my first steps into linux I chose Kubuntu

I am currently having 1xIDE with XP + 1xSATA for storage

Yesterday I installed another SATA for my brand new Kubuntu.

Because I dont like to use a bootloader (yet) I though it would suit me to install Kubuntu and then through the BIOS to choose the BOOT PRIORITY therefore choosing between XP and Kubuntu.

Well at least this was the plan. 24 hours later I still can't get it to work.

(1) My motherboard is A7N8X-E and I cannot find anywhere the SATA hdd to choose them in the boot priority.
    ANYWAY ----- After trying a lot, I quit that plan. I decided to move on BUT still NOT to install a boot loader. So I tried to look for ways to boot Kubutu "through CDROM"

(2) After that read about the Super Grub Disk (i think) followed the instructions correclty, the linux startet to load BUT no linux afterall. The procedure just stopped where the USBs are detected and nothing. No Kubuntu. Just the white letters in the black background.

(3) After that I tried the BootMagic 8. The kubuntu partition was correcly recognized as bootable. However when I tried to choose it the system just rebooted. No luck with BootMagic 8.

(4) Then I found a guide using GAG. Again I followed the instructions with no luck. I installed GRUB on kubuntu, but when I used the GAG boot CD it could not recognise the linux partition therefore again NO kubuntu for me.

I read a lot of posts and try to find another solution but I though it would be a good idea to ask for your help.
    - What else can I try Please?
    - The next step would probably be to install GRUB bootloader?
    - Can I undo that if somehting goes wrong?

I should tell you that I dont know much about bootloaders (actual what I leant the last day) so excuse me if something I say above is not correct

I should tell you that when I UNPLUG the IDE the Kubuntu boot up just fine.

Thank you very much for reading.

Re: dual boot help

I don't know if SATA drives are the problem - people have reported issues but I have no experience. Really - the proven way to dual boot is to install the GRUB bootloader on your MBR. A bootloader such as BootMagic should work but you need to install grub to the / partition to make that work. As you haven't done any customisation of kubuntu yet, it might be simplest to just reinstall kubuntu letting the installer put grub on the MBR

Comment

hello analyticalman,
      thank you for replying to my problem. Actually, I have solved the problem with the BIOS.
      If anybody else has this problem:
      - In the BIOS the SATA hdds are denoted as SCSI in the Boot Priorit list.
      - What I was missing, and saw in a forum is that you have to disable the 'Boot from other devices' option. After this you can boot nicely to any hdd you want.
      Please note that I have ASUS A7N8X-E

Another question though.
      Now that I have BIOS directing to the Grub loader of the Kubuntu partition on my SATA hdd, I think I can modify it (though the menu.list (?) ) to include a pointer to the XP partition.
      I was wondering if something goes wrong, how can I access the menu.list again if Kubuntu cannot load?

Thank you.

Comment

The tried and tested way of getting into a linux installation that won't boot is witha live CD. Knoppix is best known but there are loads around. This will run linux from the CD (won't install anything) but will allow you to mount your linux partitions (or windows come to that) and make modifications that you need

and yes it is the /boot/grub/menu.lst you need to modify (using administrator rights , e.g.
        kdesu kate /boot/grub/menu.lst

Comment

Working...
        X