Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure if this will help. Here is a screenshot of my Raring storage settings. Since it has already been installed, the CD/DVD contains the guest additions iso. But to do the initial install, I changed that to point to the install iso I downloaded.

Click image for larger version

Name:	raring.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	640222
    Last edited by Snowhog; Jan 13, 2013, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ronw View Post
      Not sure if this will help. Here is a screenshot of my Raring storage settings. Since it has already been installed, the CD/DVD contains the guest additions iso. But to do the initial install, I changed that to point to the install iso I downloaded.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3905[/ATTACH]
      When I click on your image to increase it's size, half my monitor becomes semi-transparent black. I can see your image through it, however it remains the same size. It appears that your CD/DVD Drive is not grayed out and has options. Mine is grayed out and without options. Were you able to install from the downloaded file rather than a copied ISO of the OS? That sure would simplify things. I don't know why my application reacts differently, but I am sure it is something I have missed. I thought I had sought out all the options in VB, but perhaps I have not.

The choice you appear to have highlighted on your VB is entitled: Host Drive HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22LS30 (sr0) in my VB. I have two DVDRW's, but that is the one that my ISO of Kubuntu 13.04 is located. The area to the right of that is grayed out and will not give any choices. What is written therein is the following: IDE Secondary Master. Below that the check box is entitled "Passthrough" Thanks for your continued patience, friend.

Comment

Yes, I always install from a downloaded iso instead of burning it to a CD or DVD.

The only other thing I can think of is to check the System section in the manager and make sure your DVD drive with the 13.04 disc in it is in the boot list.

Comment

I did - it is. It is good news to know that I can install from a file. I am hopeful I will learn how to do that in the near future. It is strange, but your storage area appears different from mine. If I could get the drop-down you get, I could install now too. I will have to just keep on trying. By the way, a year or so ago, I tried to install a working VB and ran into similar difficulty, never getting the problems solved. I have to suspect that the problem is with me, but I try so hard without success. Go Figure.
          Originally posted by ronw View Post
          Yes, I always install from a downloaded iso instead of burning it to a CD or DVD.

The only other thing I can think of is to check the System section in the manager and make sure your DVD drive with the 13.04 disc in it is in the boot list.

Comment

Can anyone tell me what to do now? I have wanted to have functioning Virtual Machines in my computer for years. I may have attempted every available tutorial in an effort to succeed. I have even used a Windows 7 tutorial to see if there were common steps to the process, and I believe there are, but still success evades me.

I don't know if I should remove my current VB and start over or not, but if I do, I would like a path to reinstall that has a better chance of success. I know many people who use Virtual Machines daily, but none that have been able to straighten me out. Thanks for some additional patience on this problem; this time, I will rework the problem until I either succeed or die trying. Thanks!

Comment

Just get yourself a pre-made image. I'm sure there are tons.

Here is what a quick google revealed: http://virtualboximages.com/Kubuntu+...tual+Appliance

Comment

My computer is 64bit, the 12.10 VB download is i386, that is a 32bit install, isn't it? I am still confused about whether I can install a 32bit virtual machine on my AMD 64. I understand I can put 32bit operating systems in my VirtualBox; I am unaware if I can put a 32bit VirtualBox in my 64bit computer. I bookmarked the page and will return and install after removing my current attempt, if that is what you advise. Can't tell you how happy I will be if I can solve this one. It is the last thing on my current list of to-do's. Thank you, friend.

There was an AMD 64 Ubuntu Virtual machine I could download, but I couldn't find any Kubuntu 12.10 64bit VB installs. It said the i386 was their first beta offering. I realize this is probably a hugely stupid question, but could I install the Kubuntu 12.04 64bit VB install in my 12.10 distribution? There are some very very basic things I still struggle with.

Actually I suppose it really wouldn't make much difference whether the virtual machine was Kubuntu or Ubuntu, would it, since the virtual machine is just a container for the installed OS? If you will, please answer this question; if affirmative, it will put my mind at rest. I hate to just wonder if I am doing the right thing anymore. Additional thanks.
                Last edited by Shabakthanai; Jan 14, 2013, 09:28 PM. Reason: Additional info

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
                  My computer is 64bit, the 12.10 VB download is i386, that is a 32bit install, isn't it? I am still confused about whether I can install a 32bit virtual machine on my AMD 64. I understand I can put 32bit operating systems in my VirtualBox; I am unaware if I can put a 32bit VirtualBox in my 64bit computer. I bookmarked the page and will return and install after removing my current attempt, if that is what you advise. Can't tell you how happy I will be if I can solve this one. It is the last thing on my current list of to-do's. Thank you, friend.

There was an AMD 64 Ubuntu Virtual machine I could download, but I couldn't find any Kubuntu 12.10 64bit VB installs. It said the i386 was their first beta offering. I realize this is probably a hugely stupid question, but could I install the Kubuntu 12.04 64bit VB install in my 12.10 distribution? There are some very very basic things I still struggle with.

Actually I suppose it really wouldn't make much difference whether the virtual machine was Kubuntu or Ubuntu, would it, since the virtual machine is just a container for the installed OS? If you will, please answer this question; if affirmative, it will put my mind at rest. I hate to just wonder if I am doing the right thing anymore. Additional thanks.
                  This isn't like a typical install. Essentially all you have to do is download an image and then open it with Vbox. The install etc. has all already been done for you. You can run an i386/486,586/686 or whatever they like to call it just fine on your PC. You tend not run Vbox instances with enough ram to warrant moving to 64bit images. Analogy explain a vm image:

Vm image = picture, Vbox acts like program to display image. Open VM image with Vbox and its just like opening any other file with Vbox. Look around, there are tons of images prepared everywhere.

Comment

I know I keep saying it, but you guys are great. Thanks again. I know just enough to keep me concerned about my decisions, which is enough to get me into trouble a lot. I do love Kubuntu and expecially its gurus. Cudos, friend.
                    Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
                    This isn't like a typical install. Essentially all you have to do is download an image and then open it with Vbox. The install etc. has all already been done for you. You can run an i386/486,586/686 or whatever they like to call it just fine on your PC. You tend not run Vbox instances with enough ram to warrant moving to 64bit images. Analogy explain a vm image:

Vm image = picture, Vbox acts like program to display image. Open VM image with Vbox and its just like opening any other file with Vbox. Look around, there are tons of images prepared everywhere.

Comment

Working...
                    X