X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VirtualBox installation problem, Re: full screen

Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.9.3]

I just installed VirtualBox. After completing the configuration process and installing Kubuntu 13.04, I opened the new OS. There are problems with the new OS; that was expected, however, VirtualBox had an option for Full Screen. When I chose that option, the size of the Virtual desktop remained about 12"x9", however the space surrounding the desktop changed to black. I have a 28" monitor and would like to use the entire surface when in the virtual machine. I need to increase font sizes, etc. Did I miss something during the installation process of the new OS? Did I miss something when configuring VirtualBox? Thanks!

Did you install the Guest Additions in your 13.04 guest?

Comment

The size of 'Full screen' is dictated by the amount of RAM you allocate to the VM.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Another trick if your resolution isn't selectable is to go full screen then change the resolution to what you want. Alternatively you can just choose the correct aspect ratio and go full screen and it will scale well. For some strange reason going fullscreen seems to make mores resolution options available. This has always applied for me with Win 7 guests with Linux hosts. The aspect ratio trick is that I often use .

Comment

I allowed 3gb.
          Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          The size of 'Full screen' is dictated by the amount of RAM you allocate to the VM.

Comment

I installed guest additions, however, I do not remember putting it in anything called 13.04 guest. I installed it using a command line in the VB.

Yes, but I made a mistake and posted twice. I have market that post as solved - would have preferred 'abandoned' but the option was not present. sometimes I do things and forget that i have done them. I expect it is age. Sorry to all.
            Originally posted by ronw View Post
            Last edited by Snowhog; Jan 12, 2013, 11:29 AM.

Comment

is it possible that by installing 'guest additions' after configuring th VB, I caused a problem? Perhaps I should remove VB and reinstall, then add "guest additions" prior to configuring the VB. Does that mak any sense? Hoping to retain your patience, I close with deep thanks!

Comment

I doubt installing Guest Additions after configuring the guest is a problem.

Are you using VB from the Ubuntu repositories or the Virtualbox repo? I think the version from Ubuntu is 4.1 and has problems installing GA with the newer kernels in 13.04.

I'm running 4.2.6 from the Virtualbox repo on a 12.10 host. The 13.04 guest can go fullscreen with no problems. The guest is allocated 1.5GB of system memory and the default 12MB of display memory.

You might want to check /var/log/vboxadd-install.log in the guest to make sure the GA install was successful.

Comment

Where do I find the "Aspect" option for configuring the window. It is 16x9. Additionally the option for 1920x1080 is not available either. Before I select Right-Ctrl f, the 12x9 desktop has a light beige background filling the rest of the monitor. When I click on Right-Ctrl f, the size of the desktop remains 12x9, but the background changes to black.
                  Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
                  Another trick if your resolution isn't selectable is to go full screen then change the resolution to what you want. Alternatively you can just choose the correct aspect ratio and go full screen and it will scale well. For some strange reason going fullscreen seems to make mores resolution options available. This has always applied for me with Win 7 guests with Linux hosts. The aspect ratio trick is that I often use .

Comment

I removed the 4.1 version of VirtualBox and installed 4.2.6, however when I attempted to install Kubuntu 13.04, the virtual machine does not recognize the dvd. Dolphin recognized it in my default PCC, though. Is there a way to force recognition of the dvd in VB 4.2.6?

Here is what it says in the VB window:

FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted. (keep in mind that at the same time it is recognized in Dolphin and opens showing the files and folders for installation) I am confused, I have successfully installed from the same dvd in VB 4.1.1? It was recognized there.
                    Last edited by Shabakthanai; Jan 13, 2013, 03:27 AM. Reason: additional information

Comment

Is this the same as installing the "Extension Pack"?

Comment

No. The extension pack isn't needed unless you want the USB 2 passthrough, or whatever the features are. It's an easy one-time install, then will prompt you and update itself when new versions come out.

Comment

Thanks, that helps a lot. For some reason, and although Kubuntu live CD is recognized by my 12.10 PC, Kubuntu 13.04 is not recognized by the virtual machine. It worked before, but now it does not. In fact, I downloaded it again and verified the download but attempting either download did not allow the OS to install. When the shell opens, it shows an error: FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted. I can not install Guest Additions or the extension pack, until I get Kubuntu 13.04 installed. Do you have any ideas what I should do now? Thanks for the input, Ron.
                          No. The extension pack isn't needed unless you want the USB 2 passthrough, or whatever the features are. It's an easy one-time install, then will prompt you and update itself when new versions come out.

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
                            FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted.
                            In Virtuabox Manager, the Storage section for your 13.04 guest, you've added the .iso file?

Comment

In Virtuabox Manager, the Storage section for your 13.04 guest, you've added the .iso file?
                              I am not sure I understand your question, but I see Kubuntu 13.04 is in the "New group" section. Additionally, I see it present under "Controller: SATA" under "Storage Tree" under "Storage" under "Kubuntu 13.10 - Settings". On that same window to the right, I see Attributes>"Hard Disk: SATA Port O" grayed out.
                              Information>Type (Format): Normal (VDI) - Virtual Size: 32.00 GB - Actual Size: 132.00 KB - Details: Dynamically allocated storage - Location: /home/steven/VirtualBBox VMs/New group/kubuntu 13.04/kubuntu 13.04.vdi - Attached To: kubuntu 13.04

If I understood better, I would provide better information. This is very new to me.

Ultimately, and since I have yet to install the OS, I don't believe it is actually stored in any of the places it is identified.

Comment

Working...
                              X