This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KTorrent Won't Start a Magnet Link

I'm a newbie only in terms of using KTorrent, or for that matter, any torrent downloads.

I'm trying to download some movies and TV programs with KTorrent, and the links I have are magnet links.

In KTorrent, I use File / Open URL to add the link.
    In the Magnet Link section, the link appears like this:
    Magnet Link / Status / Peers
    Gold.Rush.Alaska.Season.1 / Downloading / 0

And that's all that happens. Peers remains at 0.

I saw when the program first started some kind of error about "DHT." So in Settings / Configure KTorrent / BitTorrent, I checked "Use DHT to get additional peers."

I checked the KTorrent Help and Wiki without finding a solution to my problem.

Lane
    Lane Lester
    The Web Doctor

It may be because there are no peers. Try opening the same torrent with the torrent file to see if you get anywhere. Ktorrent seems to hold magnet links until there are enough peers and then starts to download.

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
      It may be because there are no peers. Try opening the same torrent with the torrent file to see if you get anywhere. Ktorrent seems to hold magnet links until there are enough peers and then starts to download.
      Thanks! I waited a long time for things to start. Today I installed Transmission, and it started actually downloading the link almost immediately. So I think I'll just forget about KTorrent. I'm happy to go with what works.

Lane
      Lane Lester
      The Web Doctor

Comment

Hi Lane.

I had the same issue, where Firefox basically didn't recognise magnet links, let alone what to do with them.

I really like Ktorrent, and don't forget it's always best to use native programs. Here is how you add the magnet protocol for Firefox.
        Once that's done, get a magnet link, and it'll ask which program you want to use to open it. Navigate to the KTorrent executable (/usr/bin) and you're good to go!
        Last edited by ArminasAnarchy; Dec 27, 2012, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArminasAnarchy View Post
          Hi Lane.

I had the same issue, where Firefox basically didn't recognise magnet links, let alone what to do with them.

I really like Ktorrent, and don't forget it's always best to use native programs. Here is how you add the magnet protocol for Firefox.
          Once that's done, get a magnet link, and it'll ask which program you want to use to open it. Navigate to the KTorrent executable (/usr/bin) and you're good to go!
          As you can see from my original post, KTorrent had the magnet link in it OK, it just never started downloading. That's why I gave up on it.

Lane
          Lane Lester
          The Web Doctor

Comment

Yeah, I saw. I was thinking it might be something to do with the way that you were importing the links?

I've been known to mis-copy them and then wonder why it hasn't downloaded before

Comment

This is a known issue with KTorrent. An update to KTorrent 4.3.0 fixes Magnet links and a whole lot of other things as well. You may need to compile or search for a PPA for this though (or upgrade to Raring), as 4.3.x is not packaged in Universe yet and I'm not sure if it will be bacloported to 12.10 / 12.04. Although it should be because it really doesn't work in the 4.2.X series. KTorrent is flying now and working better than ever in Raring for me. Seeding Kubuntu iso's as we speak
              ​"Keep it between the ditches"
              K*Digest Blog
              K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Thought keep in mind you will still need to manually tell Firefox what to do with Magnet kinks, as mentioned above.
                ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                K*Digest Blog
                K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
                  This is a known issue with KTorrent. An update to KTorrent 4.3.0 fixes Magnet links and a whole lot of other things as well. You may need to compile or search for a PPA for this though (or upgrade to Raring), as 4.3.x is not packaged in Universe yet and I'm not sure if it will be bacloported to 12.10 / 12.04. Although it should be because it really doesn't work in the 4.2.X series. KTorrent is flying now and working better than ever in Raring for me. Seeding Kubuntu iso's as we speak
                  +1

Magnet links haven't worked with KTorrent in non-current versions. Get the newest PPA version.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
                  and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Huh, I'm running KTorrent 4.1.3 (I haven't felt any great need to upgrade from Precise), and I have exactly zero problems with magnet links.

Do the problems only exist in 4.2.x ?
                    sigpic
                    "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
                    -- Douglas Adams

Comment

I'm on ....Ktorrent-4.2.1 KDE-4.9.4 , no problems with magnet links hear either !!

VINNY
                      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                      16GB RAM
                      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

One of the beauties of linux is the fact the majority of apps will work across the different DEs. Myself I prefer transmission. Apps with issues belong in a beta status. Kind of how I look at Ktorrent.

Comment

Originally posted by cavedweller View Post
                          One of the beauties of linux is the fact the majority of apps will work across the different DEs. Myself I prefer transmission. Apps with issues belong in a beta status. Kind of how I look at Ktorrent.
                          LOL ,,,, to each his own I guess .
                          personally thats how I feel about Transmission and @hear Ktorrent has no issues at all and gets used regularly .
                          In fact I feel that Ktorrent is one of the most feature complete torrent apps their is , windows or linux, ,,,,,, or has been for me.

VINNY
                          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                          16GB RAM
                          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I am having similar problems with KTorrent. Somehow, I am able to get the first magnet link I click on to download; after that none will even appear in KTorrent. I get the prompt message, "DHT needs to be enabled". I have enabled DHT in KTorrent to no avail. I would hate to resort to Transmission however it hasn't failed me yet. I will continue to tinker with this problem for a while longer.

Comment

Ooooh another necromancer in our midst... but to answer this, it seems to be browser not talking to KTorrent, both, or whatever. I don't use torrents that often, but when I do I right click the magnet link the jump in KTorrent and open url. Seems to work like that, but it would be and should be nice to just click and go. I won't go making references to Scrooge or the "ghost of Christmas past" because that would just be over the top. I love your location Tinker, I've been there several times myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X