This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 8 inaccessible after installing Kubuntu 12.10

I've finally installed Kubuntu after struggling with Windows 8 Secure Boot for days. I partitioned my hard drive with GParted from an Ubuntu Live USB and then installed Kubuntu 12.10 in one of the partitions. During installation, I pointed the Kubuntu boot loader at what I think is the boot partition on my hard drive.

So Kubuntu is now installed. But Kubuntu just directly booted up when I turn on the laptop. I was not given an option to choose between Operating systems on boot.

How do I access Windows 8 then? How can I enable the option to choose which OS to boot when I turn on the laptop?

Also, I'm a complete Linux newbie. Can someone please point me to some comprehensive guide to Kubuntu/Linux?

Some additional info: I'm running a Toshiba Satellite with an AMD A8-4500 processor. It has 8GB of RAM. As stated before, it also runs Windows 8 (I hope)

Comment

Hold down the Shift Key and keep it held down while booting. That will bring up the boot menu.

Comment

That didn't work.

I want a BIOS/UEFI prompt that automatically asks me what OS I want to boot every time I turn on my laptop. I know it's possible, I remember having it set up that way before.

Comment

OK, that's strange. A few people have said that doesn't work.... it works for me.

To get the grub menu to show, you could edit /etc/default/grub as outlined here or you can install Grub Customizer to do it via a GUI.

Set the timeout to 5 seconds or something, so you have time to select which grub menu item you want to use.

Comment

Apparently my wireless card isn't recognized so I can't access GRUB Customizer over the internet.

And the wall of text in the other link is giving me a headache. I tried this:

Editing the File

The grub file is a system file, therefore any editing must be done by a user with 'Administrator/root' privileges. The file is a simple text file and can be edited by any text editor. The default text editor in Ubuntu is Gedit, and the file can be edited with the following command. "gksu" is the graphical equivalent of "sudo" and the "&" allows the terminal to be used to update GRUB 2 once the user saves the file.

gksu gedit /etc/default/grub &
            After making changes and saving the file, the GRUB 2 menu must be updated to include the changes by running:

sudo update-grub
            But konsole tells me that "The program 'gksu' is currently not installed."

I think Kubuntu has a different editor than Ubuntu. What is its name?

Can you give me a Kubuntu version of these commands, sealbhach?

Thanks.

Comment

Press Alt+F2 and then type:
              Code:
              kdesudo kate /etc/default/grub
              Press enter and type your password. The file will open in Kate for editing 'as root'. Save and close and then in a console type:
              Code:
              sudo update-grub
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Okay Snowhog, I'm in, but I don't know what to change. Here are the defaults

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
                GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
                GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
                GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
                GRUB DISTRIBUTOR='lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian'
                GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
                GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
                My guess is that I have to change GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT and GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET.

Comment

These are my settings for this section:
                  GRUB_DEFAULT=0
                  #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
                  GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
                  GRUB_TIMEOUT=-10
                  GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR='Kubuntu'
                  #GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
                  GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash enable_mtrr_cleanup pcie_aspm=force raid=noautodetect"
                  GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="noapic"
                  Commenting GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0 (placing the # at the beginning) means that the Grub menu will be displayed.
                  Setting GRUB_TIMEOUT= to a negative value like I've done means that the Grub menu will be displayed until you make a selection, which is what I prefer.
                  The other changes are personal choices and for my system.

See Grub2
                  Last edited by Snowhog; Dec 25, 2012, 04:54 PM.

Comment

I did as you suggested Snowhog, saved and exit and the update grub in console. When I rebooted, I got the GRUB boot window, offering the the option to boot: 1) Ubuntu, 2) Advanced options for Ubuntu, 3) System Setup.

What the heck! What happened to my Windows partition? I can see it in Dolphin but GRUB doesn't give me the option to boot from it. Did I overwrite the Windows MBR or something? What do I do now?

Comment

Grub should see your windows installation. First thing to do is reinstall Grub from a Live CD. Sorry but there's another wall of text here. Use KDE partition manager to see the layout of the disks if you're not sure.

Comment

I installed Windows first and then Kubuntu. I thought that would avoid this problem.

Thanks sealbhach. I'm going to try that, but they're for Ubuntu. Do you know if they'll work for Kubuntu?

Comment

Download bootinfoscript and run it, then attach the file here. This will let us know exactly where you installed Grub. If you did install to the MBR, then you've (likely) wiped out the Windows bootloader.

Comment

My wireless doesn't work in Kubuntu. The bootinfoscript says I need a working internet connection. Can I do it from a USB?

Comment

I want to thank you for taking the time to help me on Christmas day, but I'm frustrated now, guys. I've been going without sleep and struggling with technical issue after issue for more than a week now. Linux seems to have a long way to go before its ready for the consumer market.

During installation, I read that the Kubuntu bootloader was supposed to be pointed towards the boot partition. I located this partition in GParted and pointed the Kubuntu installer towards it, and put root in a different partition. Now I'm hearing that this may have overwritten the Windows bootloader. I think that means that I can say goodbye to my Windows installation.

I can't use bootinfoscript because Kubuntu doesn't seem to recognize my wireless card. I don't understand why I should re-install GRUB and I don't think the ubuntu instructions will work without adjustment on Kubuntu.

What are my options here now?

Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X