Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, you can try this in the meantime, just mount /dev/sda7 which is your Linux root partition. The instructions are independent of the desktop so they will work in either Ubuntu or Kubuntu. Note that after this you may just end up back at square one and you will have to edit /etc/default/grub to get the menu to show again, like you did here. It's worth a try though, sometimes grub doesn't install properly during a full installation and reinstalling grub sometimes fixes problems for people.

Comment

Okay, I'm trying this now.

Comment

What the heck! What happened to my Windows partition? I can see it in Dolphin but GRUB doesn't give me the option to boot from it. Did I overwrite the Windows MBR or something? What do I do now?
        I just finished putting 12.10 on an Asus X202E Win8 netbook. I couldn't get Windows 8 and Linux to co-exist on the same drive.

Steve is probably the expert here on UEFI, but I have a guess. And believe me, it is only a guess.

Try enabling secure boot again in the UEFI setup utility, then try booting again. I'm thinking that Windows will probably show, and Kubuntu won't.

IIUC, Win8 uses a whole different partitioning scheme, and I am guessing that GRUB is not up to speed on that yet. I am also guessing that MBR as such does not exist in UEFI, which I suspect is why my machine would not see Kubuntu.

I got around this by removing the Win8 drive, and installing a 245 GB SSD. Makes the machine REALLY nice to use. Boots to the password prompt in just over 10 seconds, and to a full Kubuntu desktop in just over 30 seconds, complete with the opening Kubuntu sound.

As I say, all of this is pure guesswork on my part, and I am NOT any sort of computer guru. But, it will give you something to try.

Frank.
        Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

sudo mount /dev/sda7 /mnt
          After I enter my password, the terminal automatically put in "sudo apt-get install gawk." I proceed on vein and the terminal says that gawk is already the newest version. No changes made.

sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
          sudo mount --bind /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts
          sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
          sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys

sudo chroot /mnt
          No response from the terminal.

grub-install /dev/sda
          Installation finished. No error reported.

grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
          Installation finished. No error reported.

update-grub
          Generating grub.cfg
          Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.0-17-generic
          Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.5.0-17-generic
          Adding boot menu entry for EFI firmware configuration
          done

exit
          exit

sudo umount /mnt/dev
          umount: /mnt/dev: device is busy.

sudo umount /mnt/dev/pts
          sudo umount /mnt/proc
          sudo umount /mnt/sys
          sudo umount /mnt
          No response from konsole

I tried again to unmount /mnt/dev (whatever the heck that is) but got the same "device is busy message."

Now I'm rebooting.

Note: I just made a Ubuntu 12.10 Live USB and stuck it in the USB port of the laptop. I have no idea if any of what I did mounted this image and copied GRUB over from it or not. I can't parse these messages.
          Last edited by longnosemonkey; Dec 26, 2012, 03:31 PM.

Comment

To sealbhack:

I followed the instructions you gave me and then re-booted but it went straight to the GRUB boot options screen with the same 3 options as before. Windows 8 was not one of them.

To Frank616:

Try enabling secure boot again in the UEFI setup utility, then try booting again. I'm thinking that Windows will probably show, and Kubuntu won't.
            I tried re-enabling Secure Boot in BIOS and it worked! I booted straight into Windows 8!

I got back into Windows! Yay!

Comment

have you tried to follow the instructions found in the following thread?
              http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...FI-secure-boot

Comment

I just used EasyBCD 2.2 inside Windows 8 to set the boot options and timer. Upon boot up, I now do have BIOS giving me a choice of booting up Windows 8 or "Ubuntu", but trying to choose "Ubuntu" gives me this message:

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem" and gives me repair options.

WTF? Perhaps EasyBCD sees Kubuntu as a Windows partition? Any help? Why can I boot only one OS at a time?

P.S. Nick Stone: Let me read that link.

Comment

Okay, well this all confirms where we are at, Secure Boot is preventing Grub from creating a menu entry for Windows. Gotta love those artificial barriers...

Comment

NickStone: I've already done most of the things in your list. That's how I installed Kubuntu.

sealbhach: So if Secure Boot is the cause of my problems, what do I do? Will it be possible for GRUB to issue an update that will fix this or does SecureBoot make it impossible to fix this problem?

Aside from turning off SecureBoot every time I need to boot Kubuntu, is there anything else I can do now?

Comment

According to EasyBCD 2.2:

Code:
                      There are a total of 5 entries listed in the bootloader.

Default: Windows 8
                      Timeout: 10 seconds
                      EasyBCD Boot Device: C:\

Entry #1
                      Name: Ubuntu
                      BCD ID: {22666b16-4fa4-11e2-be7d-806e6f6e6963}
                      Device: \Device\HarddiskVolume2
                      Bootloader Path: \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi

Entry #2
                      Name: EFI USB Device
                      BCD ID: {775059ab-499a-11e2-9ba5-dd08203f7f74}
                      Device: Unknown
                      Bootloader Path: 

Entry #3
                      Name: EFI Network
                      BCD ID: {775059ad-499a-11e2-9ba5-dd08203f7f74}
                      Bootloader Path: 

Entry #4
                      Name: EFI DVD/CDROM
                      BCD ID: {775059ac-499a-11e2-9ba5-dd08203f7f74}
                      Bootloader Path: 

Entry #5
                      Name: Windows 8
                      BCD ID: {current}
                      Drive: C:\
                      Bootloader Path: \windows\system32\winload.efi
                      Does that help?
                      Last edited by SteveRiley; Dec 29, 2012, 04:56 PM.

Comment

I tried re-enabling Secure Boot in BIOS and it worked! I booted straight into Windows 8!
                        I suspected as much.

I am developing a working theory on this Linux / Win8 thing. Win8 is a signed binary, so loads with secure boot, as it was designed to be. Linux loads with secure boot off, as the binary is unsigned. Therefore, we get legacy boot from UEFI. The twain do not meet. You currently get one, or the other.

Recommendation: Don't try to dual boot a Win8 machine. I suspect that it currently just can't be done.

It is interesting to note that all the successful installs of Linux on Win8 hardware that I came across on the 'net were all accomplished by replacing the hard drive. So we go back to my general rule:

One machine -- One OS.

Frank.

Comment

Blech. This is why, when I'm looking online for another PC, I exclude any PC with Windows 8. But, given that I won't use Windows anything -- it would get removed post-haste -- it isn't really an issue for me. I'll never be dual-booting Linux and Windows ever again.
                          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I found an article on this:

Linux Foundation UEFI Secure Boot key for Windows 8 PCs delays explained

James Bottomley, Parallels' CTO of server virtualization, well-known Linux kernel maintainer, and the man behind the Linux Foundation's efforts to create an easy way to install and boot Linux on Windows 8 PCs with UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) Secure Boot enabled is sorry to report that "We’re still waiting for Microsoft to give the Linux Foundation a validly signed pre-bootloader."

Despite the best efforts of Fedora, openSUSE, Ubuntu, and the Linux Foundation, booting Linux on UEFI Secure Boot Windows 8 PCs continues to be a problem . The easiest way to avoid Windows 8 lock-in is to disable UEFI Secure Boot from your system before it starts to boot. However, this option may not be available on all motherboard; isn't available at all on Windows RT devices, such as the Surface; and is still troublesome even with Secure Boot disabled. So, it is that the struggle—and struggle it is—to create an easy to use, universal install and boot Secure Boot Linux installer continues on.

You don't have to take my word for it. Bottomley reports that, even after jumping through various legal hoops, you can't "just upload a UEFI binary and have it signed First of all you have to wrap the binary in a Microsoft Cabinet file. Fortunately, there is one open source project that can create cabinet files called lcab. Next you have to sign the cabinet file with your Verisign key. Again, there is one open source project that can do this: osslsigncode. For anyone else needing these tools, they’re now available in my openSUSE Build Service UEFI repository."

"The final problem is that the file upload requires silverlight. Unfortunately, moonlight [an open-source Silverlight implementation] doesn’t seem to cut it and even with the version 4 preview, the upload box shows up blank, so time to fire up windows 7 under kvm [Linux's built-in hypervisor]. When you get to this stage, you also have to certify that the binary “to be signed must not be licensed under GPLv3 or similar open source licenses” I assume the fear here is key disclosure but it’s not at all clear (or indeed what 'similar open source licences' actually are)."

Legally that's troublesome, but at least the technical problems seemed in hand. Alas, the trouble was only beginning.

First, creating the cabinet file failed. Eventually Bottomley generated a working UEFI Secure Boot Linux pre-loader but the signing process still indicated that there had been a failure. When he asked Microsoft what was going on, the company replied, "Don’t use that file that is incorrectly signed. I will get back to you." Bottomley speculates that the problem is that the working Secure Boot binary key "is signed with a generic Microsoft key instead of a specific (and revocable) key tied to the Linux Foundation."

So it is that the Linux Foundation is still waiting "for Microsoft to give the Linux Foundation a validly signed pre-bootloader." Until that happens, booting and installing Linux on Windows 8 PCs will remain an order of magnitude harder than it is on earlier model PCs.

But I don't understand this. Why isn't Stallman single-handedly trying to storm Redmond? Why are there no anti-trust lawsuits against Microsoft? They're trying to lock hardware into their OS!

I need Windows 8 for games and work. So I need to dual-boot. I don't mind switching Secure Boot On and Off to access either OS for now. But are there any technical problems with this idea? Is it just a minor annoyance only? Can I do that instead of doing one system/hard drive, one OS?
                            Last edited by longnosemonkey; Dec 26, 2012, 09:23 PM. Reason: Wrong Article

Comment

That's why SO many see MS as evil. They want it their way - period. And the sad thing, so many, if not all, PC manufacturers go along with it.
                              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Snowhog:

Blech. This is why, when I'm looking online for another PC, I exclude any PC with Windows 8.
                                I feel as you do. I haven't used Windows since Win98. Of the 7 machines that I own and maintain (home and work) I have one machine that is capable of dual boot with XP, but I've never used it.

However, just because a machine comes with WIn8 does not mean that it cannot be used as a 100% Linux machine. This Asus X202E netbook that I am using now to respond to this message came with Win8. That is how I learned that dual-booting on it is not a good idea. Like the poor fellow that we are helping here, I too bought it to TRY, and didn't want to lose the original OS in case it didn't work out, and I had to return it. However, Kubuntu 12.10 runs on it just fine (or at least as well as this rather unstable release runs on anything). I like the little machine, and I'm glad I bought it -- MS tax and all. However, I had to replace the drive to make it work well. The 245 GB Samsung SSD that I put in it really makes this little machine sing.

Frank.

Comment

Working...
                                X