Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used the factory reset option inside Windows and it scrubbed everything, but left the partitions intact. The Kubuntu partition is now empty and NTFS formatted. There is no Windows Boot Manager or GRUB or even the image from post 78 at boot, it just goes straight into Windows.

I learnt a lot from all this, and I hope this thread will be instructive to others. I will come back to Linux land when a few of the latest problems have been ironed out. SteveRiley and all others who helped me - thank you. You've helped during the holiday season and I won't forget it. I'll pass it on.

Comment

Sorry that I don't have anything of value to add to this thread but I'd wish to say that this is an exciting thread!
      As others, I can't stop applaud Steve for the time invested and the experience showed. Also usually frustration with trouble tend to make the poster drop out and give in because of frustration - I doubt I'd have the patience that longnosemonkey have here. Real life work stuck it's real nose in and stopped further investigation(for now).

All in all this is a valuable thread, though without the hardware at hand I can't figure out all the ins and outs going on. I would love a mock-up thread, if this isn't all covered in Steves excellent UEFI section(?).

Booting and MBR/BIOS/UEFI will be important for me to know as I consider to make a 'gratis' evening course for newbie transition from windows to Free/Open Software. At the moment I have a draft what to include in the course and course folder (once I have it ready and translated I'll post it here).

Either way this is definitely something that I will need to know how to solve for the participants. Thank you all and especially Steve for your effort!

b.r

Jonas
      ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
      Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
      Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
      Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
      - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
      >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

My thanks to both of you as well. I've learned a lot about dual booting on a Win8 machine. Not that I'll ever do it, of course. However, the efforts of both of you to follow this through gave me a lot of insight into UEFI.

Longnosemonkey: If you have another machine, be sure to put Linux on that on the bare metal. It is always safer to learn on a non-production machine. I wish I could give you one of the three that I just retired at my place of work.

Frank.
        Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

Working...
        X