Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[ABANDONED] Screwed up trying to change password and need help.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
    I think I am getting things too screwed up, anyway, I tried again and when the default was highlighted, and I pressed "e", a new screen appeared. The only line beginning with linux read as follows:

"linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-generic root=UUID=9757 dbb1-5bc8-4471-9914-9b1e7b78d5f4 ro recovery nomodeset
    echo 'loading initail ramdisk...'

The portion you described was not present for me to backspace out then type in "rw init=/bin/bash"
    right this was still the recovery line in the grub menu.

The next reply you made is too far over my head. It is confusing at my level of understanding, so I think it is time to re-install.

Thanks again for your kindness.

I continue to try to learn from the fine help I get in the forum,
    no problem ........I learn from this as well and I find it fun and relaxing

but I am getting near the end of my time on this earth. Although I will continue to try, I think I may not have enough life left to grasp much more. I only hope you don't feel you wasted your time.

When you get to my age and health, you still do not give up. You continue as though there is a long future, even though logically there is not. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, friend.
    I am sorry to hear this ,,,,,pleas try to enjoy your remaining time in this world before you go on to discover the great mystery.
    you Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to my frend.

when I completed the instruction and rebooted the computer, when the login screen appeared, it had diana as user. I typed in her password; it was rejected.
    this is strange .....I cant think of anything we did that would have caused this .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

From what I can tell, you have locked your self out of all your user accounts but can still boot into recovery mode?

If that is correct could you post the contents of /etc/passwd (doesn't contain any passwords, just user data, the password hashes are in /etc/shadow, never post this one online ) as well as the contents of /etc/group so we can check if everything is in order with these files.

You can reset any users password from the recovery console by running:

Code:
      passwd USERNAME
      Where USERNAME is the username of the user you want to reset the password for. This should allow you to logback in as that user again (if not something else is wrong).

Comment

Thanks to everyone for trying to help. I finally ran out of time. To keep my promise, I had to reinstall the OS. I got it done an gave the computer to her early in the morning. I learned a lot even though I had to quit prior to resolving the matter. I can only hope I did not waste too much your collective time. I wish I had started to learn the Linux OS earlier in life or was more intelligent. I have to admit I feel a bit guilty each time I trouble the forum for help that takes this much effort. I suspect I won't be able to use what I learn for long and probably won't be able to pass on the kindness extended to me. You are all terrific people, and I am very grateful.

I sometimes have been able to edit an change the subject line of the first entry to mark the problem either solved or abandoned. It probably is a simple process, but recently when I try to edit the first entry, clicking on edit only allows changing the body of the posting and not the subject line. Anyone who reads to the bottom of this post to try to help resolve the matter, I apologize for not noting the abandonment on the first entry. I suspect I have overlooked something obvious that allows for the edit. Thanks for your forgiveness on the matter. Merry Christmas to all.

Comment

You wasted no ones time here. This is what KFN is about. Not all problems get 'solved', but in almost all case there is a 'solution'. Reinstalling Kubuntu is a solution, and if it 'fixed' the problem, then it is a useful solution.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I have to say that even with observing obvious frustrations, this thread contains one of the most civilized conversations I have ever witnessed. My hat (mimicking wearing a hat) is tipped to everyone involved. Thank you.
            Linux User #454271

Comment

Very well said notabug.

It is one of the reasons I read in this forum. Even if I am not in a current state of using Kubuntu I will be using KDE. I come here because this group doesn't beat you over the head with the standard you hear in so many other places "Google It". They seem to understand that when a question is asked there is already a measure of frustration on the users part and they may not know where to look for the answer. It's kind of nice to know there are patient people out there willing to help.

As notabug said, Good job!!!

Comment

Working...
              X