This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amarok behaving badly...

Probably my fault somehow, but ever since I tried to uninstall it and reinstall it, I've not been able to get things back to normal. I start it up, and it without fail gives me this dialogue:

Now mind you, I can see and play my entire collection which is in the playlist the whole time. After the database is built again, I then get this dialogue :

This keeps happening over and over. And that screen never goes away ! Nor do I ever get any of the album information that I used to get, along with things such as currently listened to things, top tracks etc.. etc.. And when I play any song, I get a message saying that "This song is not in your collection". Oh really ? Then how the hell is it playing ? This is a really silly quirk which is aggitating the hell out of me. I'd really appreciate some help in this matter.

Regards,
    Doug

Re: Amarok behaving badly...

Have you tried doing:

Code:
    mv ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok-old
    Do that with amarok *not* running. Then once you do that command, run amarok and see if it fixes the problem.

Have you upgraded amarok/kde lately ? From what version to what version as that would be helpful information.

Comment

That code worked brilliantly, thanks buddy ! What exactly did that command tell Amarok to do though, so I understand it better ? As far as upgrading goes, funny you ask. I didn't want to mention this because I though it would only complicate things more but, last week, both Amarok and Kopete updated themselves, when I updated to the latest version of KDE (3.5.4 ?).

But then something really strange happened. Kopete suddenly wasn't registered as an installed program anymore, (but my profile was still on the pc) and Amarok reverted back to its previous version. I reinstalled Kopete, and now it's no longer the latest version, and as far as Amarok goes, I'm just not sure anymore.

How can I make sure they're the latest versions ? And if they're not, why wouldn't adept alert me to a new version anyway ? This is the sort of strange behavior that makes me hesitant to tell those who ask me about how I'm getting on with Linux, how things really are, because quite frankly, I'm too confused to really give a straight answer ! LOL. :P

Comment

Basically any file/directory that starts with a . is usually considered a config file, or a directory with config stuff in it. That command renamed the current amarok settings directory to something elese(amarok-old) which means when you restarted amarok it had the original default settings. Getting rid of old configs can sometimes cure problems like you were having.

As far as updating to KDE 3.5.4 I had to revert back to 3.5.3 after upgrading to 3.5.4. I don't use KDE, but I use apps from KDE, mainly konqueror, and it had serious issues when running outside of KDE.

As far as checking the version, you can do something like:

Code:
        dpkg -l amarok
        That should list the version number.

If you are interested in going back to 3.5.3 due to too many issues with 3.5.4, follow this how-to on my website: http://www.linuxfordummies.org/index.php?topic=609.0

I did just have a database messup, and I think you had registered on my forums, but not yet activated your account. You'll have to re-register as I lost about 12 members due to the db error

Hope all of this helps you and don't hesitate to ask for any further assistance. That's why we are here

Comment

Working...
        X