This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Software versions not up to date

I am just curious how often the repositories are updated with the latest versions of software?
    I've installed eclipse but the version from the package manger is 3.1, but there is a new version 3.2 out that I would like to get. I realize this could be done manually I was just more curios about when it becomes available through the package managers...

Thanks...

Re: Software versions not up to date

It varies really. If it's for a security/bug fix, it could be pretty quick. Chances are you might have to get it from a 3rd party repository. I have a very extensive sources.list if you want to take a look at it and get some sources from it, or even use the entire thing. It can be found here: http://www.linuxfordummies.org/index.php?topic=545.0

Comment

Re: Software versions not up to date

Originally posted by cjnkns
      I am just curious how often the repositories are updated with the latest versions of software?
      I've installed eclipse but the version from the package manger is 3.1, but there is a new version 3.2 out that I would like to get.  I realize this could be done manually I was just more curios about when it becomes available through the package managers...
      As Hawkwind pointed out, security fixes/releases are added to the repositories very quickly.

When it comes to 'non-security' release versions, usually only minor version changes/bugfixes are included in the dapper-updates repositories.

Major versions are 'frozen' after a (k)ubuntu release, to avoid introducing new bugs to a 'stable' release.

Don't know about eclipse, but 3.2 might only be added to the edgy repositories.
      (Sometimes packages get backported into the backports repository...and kubuntu releases new versions of some 'key' packages like kde in the kubuntu.org repositories.)

3rd party repositories and compiling from source are also options, but they can lead to compatibility problems down the road.

Comment

Working...
      X