X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

64bit or not? Synaptics Pacage Manager?

Hi guys,

I've used Win7 64bit and OpenSuse 12.2 64bit on my main machine (8GB, i5).
    Now I've bought a new 3TB HD and would like to get Ubuntu compatibility (lot's of stuff isn't available elsewhere) with KDE coolness and efficiency.

On the main 32bit download button is a fat recommended :
    #1: Shouldn't I use the 64bit version?

I'll be using this installation mainly for wine stuff (tons of windows apps/games) brought over or newly installed.
    There's a dedicated KDE software installation tool, right?
    #2: Can I use it in cojunction with the original Synaptics Package Manager, on which allmost all of the advanced stuff I've seen seems to depend?

#3: Can I soly use the SPM?

Thanks so much in Advance,
    ted

On the main 32bit download button is a fat recommended .

#1: Should'nt I use the 64bit version?
    The reason that the 32bit version gets the 'recommended' label is that it will work on both 32bit and 64bit machines. Think of it as saying "If in doubt (about whether your hardware is 32bit or 64bit), choose this one". So, yes, in your case you should go with the 64bit version.

I'll leave other forum members to address the other points, as I don't use Wine or SPM myself.
    sigpic
    "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
    -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by tderanger View Post
      I agree with HalationEffect on this point.

I'll be using this installation mainly for wine stuff (tons of windows apps/games) brought over or newly installed.
      Keep in mind that not all windows application run well under wine, it is better to look for a native alternative if one exists.

There's a dedicated KDE software installation tool, right?
      Kubuntu does have a kde front end called muon which you will probably find preforms as well as Synaptic. I suggest you try it out.

#2: Can I use it in cojunction with the original Synaptics Package Manager, on which allmost all of the advanced stuff I've seen seems to depend?
      The package manger behind ubuntu and kubuntu is ultimately dpkg and apt-get. All the gui tools are essentially front ends to these systems. So you can swap between them at will.

#3: Can I soly use the SPM?
      You can but I suggest you try muon first and see if you like it.

Comment

Hi guys,

thanks so much for enlightning my further steps! (I can't way to try it out )

Just one more question:

Looking directly @ these downloads, I just find:

#1: kubuntu-12.10-desktop-i386.iso
        #2: kubuntu-12.10-desktop-amd64.iso.

I have do have a 64bit prozessor, albeit an Intel one. There doesen't seem to be an according iso.
        How can I address my 8GB ram?

I'd expected a full-sized dvd iso. That's not available, either? (900 MB)

Thanks again,
        ted

P.S.: I'll surely use e.g. k3b instead of poweriso. It's just that I do have a ton of older stuff (PSX, PS2, N64, Wii, DOS+Glide, Win 3D games) that I need to keep.
        There's no need to to so app-wise.

Comment

#1: kubuntu-12.10-desktop-i386.iso
          #2: kubuntu-12.10-desktop-amd64.iso.

I have do have a 64bit prozessor, albeit an Intel one. There doesen't seem to be an according iso.
          How can I address my 8GB ram?
          32bit is known as i386 as well as x86, these are all the same architecture and can be used interchangeability

64bit is known as amd64 as well as x64_86, these are also all the same architecture and can be used interchangeably

They are just what the architectures are called, both amd and intel processors are supported by both images but the amd64 only support the amd and intel processors taht also support the 64bit architecture.

Or, more simply put: Yes, amd64 will work on intel 64bit processors.
          I'd expected a full-sized dvd iso. That's not available, either? (900 MB)
          They have broken the cd limit of 700mb as they have been busting to add more stuff to the image for a long time. However, they have not gone up to a full sized DVD for several reasons.

1) They do not want to add to much bloat to the image. Anything extra you need can be downloaded after.
          2) For allot of people the size matters allot as they have limited or slow connections and don't want to download a full sized DVD
          3) The 1gig limit allows the image to be installed on 1gig USB sticks rather then needing an 8gig stick that would be needed if it where the full DVD size (4.7GB)

They have not released a full sized alternative in quite some time as it is mostly just a waste of their bandwidth and their users bandwidth as well as an extra effort to maintain and test.
          Last edited by james147; Dec 12, 2012, 07:31 AM.

Comment

You have an i5 processor and more than 4GB of ram. I highly, highly recommend you go for 64bit version else you won't get the most out of your system. There has been talk lately of changing the recommended option to 64 bit. Seriously though, everything since 2006 has pretty much been 64bit so its really stupid that we still hang on to 32bit as the default.

Originally posted by tderanger
            Wine isn't perfect so don't expect full software compatibility. Most major programs and a surprisingly large number of games will run almost flawlessly. I would strongly recommend PlayOnLinux with GUI as a great tool for managing and working with Wine. If you want the absolute best Wine experience I would recommend going for Crossover. Its commercial software but Crossover is pretty much the main developer of Wine and they really provide a value added service. There are less hacks needed and a lot of things are auto configured. Also you can't really transfer applications across from a Windows install. Some applications maybe, but most would be a no.

Originally posted by tderanger
            Not sure what you really mean but you can install Synaptics really easily.

If you want to understand X86 vs AMD64 just read the intro to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64

Comment

1 more thing. Look at http://appdb.winehq.org/ and http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/ to see which of your Windows applications can be run on Linux and what is required.

Comment

Working...
              X