This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monitor Setting

One of the main reasons for installing Kubuntu 12.04.1 to my HDD was that the Live CD offers a monitor setting of 1366x768; Uncommon in distros I came across sofar. However, this setting is definitely not available once Kubuntu is installed. Is it possible to obtain a post-installation 'fix'?

Computer Information:
    Release of Kubuntu: 12.04.1
    Kubuntu is installed on internal HDD (multi-boot)
    KDE version: Dolphin Version 2.0 Using KDE Development Platform 4.8.5 (4.8.5)
    Grub version: 0.97-29ubuntu66 Description-en: GRand Unified Bootloader (Legacy version)
    Other Operating Systems installed: WinXP Pro, LMDE 201204, Zorin 6

Type: Desktop
    Monitor: 32" LCD TV
    CPU Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
    Architecture: x86_64
    CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit
    RAM: 4MB
    1x1 tb HD internal
    Optical Drive: one, internal.

With this being a visual display problem, it might be useful to know what graphics hardware your machine has, and also what type of connection to the TV you are using - VGA, DVI, HDMI, etc.
    sigpic
    "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
    -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by HalationEffect View Post
      With this being a visual display problem,...
      Well, it's not *really* a problem rather a nusiance since the native resolution of my monitor is 1366x768.
      Most importantly, I am surprised that the software settings on the Live CD don't install to the HDD of my desktop computer; Which is the issue I *really* wish to get resolved.
      Since the script/program is already written and available on Live CD couldn't the author(s) of the "Size & Orientation" software be persuaded for providing a post-installation fix?

I reluctantly used...
      sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings

which installed nVidia driver version 304.64 but the 'Resolution' drop-down menu in 'X Server Display Configuration' is greyed-out and marked 'Off'. When clicking onto the downward-pointing chevron mark the menu doesn't offer my desired monitor setting of 1366x768 not even 1360x768; The closest setting available is 1024x768.
      (When clicking onto any setting in 'X Server Display Configuration' the entire "NVIDIA X Server Settings" window will just close and a 'crash' notification will pop up).
      However, (after installing the nVidia driver) in 'System Settings' ==> 'Display and Monitor' ==> 'Size and Orientation' the setting 1360x768 is available and working.

Originally posted by HalationEffect View Post
      it might be useful to know what graphics hardware your machine has, and also what type of connection to the TV you are using - VGA, DVI, HDMI, etc.
      My 32" LCD (TV) monitor is exclusively used for the Internet and is not connected to any satellite, cable or free-to-air TV network etc.. The connection between computer and (TV) monitor is a common VGA cable. Cheers...

Comment

Working...
      X