This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu hangs at logo

I have the same problem with hanging at the lo-res logo stage and I'd really like to apply the suggested remedy, but where / how do I look at the /etc/x11/xorg.conf file if I can't get the operating system to boot? Have patience with me, I'm a Windows migrant...

Re: Kubuntu hangs after nvidia driver install

Switch back to "nv". See above.

Comment

How can I do that if I can't get past the logo screen? See, I told you I am a new migrant from Windows

Comment

If you're really clueless in Linux you should have posted your problem in the Newbie Help forum. There's a message that you should have seen when you registered here, telling you that, we provide detailed walk-throughs in a kinder, gentler way in that forum. Okay, I've switched your post to the right place.

The first question is whether or not you can see a boot menu that starts off with two lines something like
        Code:
        Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.15-26-amd64-k8
        Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.15-26-amd64-k8 (recovery mode)
        If not, instantly (you have 3 seconds) when your computer's BIOS finishes, hit Esc. Once you see the Grub menu hit the down arrow (you're still in the 3 second part).

Now, when you hit return, you will be taken to a black and white, full screen console display. Login as your regular user. then run the command
        Code:
        sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
        you have now started a simple console based editor, looking at the file that controls the behavior of the display, keyboard and mouse. You will have to navigate in this editor, using the arrow keys on your keyboard because nano doesn't know about mice. Read down in the file, until you see a stanza, that says something like
        Code:
        Section "Device"
         identifier "NVIDIA Corporation NV43 [GeForce 6600]"
         boardname "nv"
         busid "PCI:1:0:0"
         driver "nvidia"
         screen 0
        EndSection
        Change the line
        Code:
        driver  "nvidia"
        to
        Code:
        driver  "nv"
        OR
        Code:
        driver  "vesa"
        The latter is safer, the former will perform better (if you really have an Nvidia display card).

Comment

Re: Kubuntu hangs at logo

Many thanks for that! And apologies that in my haste I must have sped over the newbie reference in the introductory message, but such is my arrogance, having been a Windows user for aeons. And yes, I have never been in any doubt that my graphics card was Nvidia

Comment

Working...
          X