Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does canonical partner repo have acroread ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does canonical partner repo have acroread ?

I have it enabled but acroread is not shown among the list of packages available from canonical.

Kubuntu 12.10 64 bit.

On 12.04 64 bit I have it installed.
    Last edited by weha; Dec 07, 2012, 11:12 AM.

You can examine the repository directly using a web browser. Here's acroread:

http://archive.canonical.com/pool/partner/a/acroread/

As you can see, it hasn't been packaged for Quantal. Furthermore, for Precise, only the 32-bit version is packaged, not the 64-bit version. And finally, note the dates -- April 2012. That's pretty old. It's apparent that Adobe has decided to no longer maintain this repository. (And yes, it's Adobe's responsibility, not Canonical's.)

Is there a particular reason you need this? Okular should handle PDFs without problem.

Comment

As far as I know acroread is not yet in any 12.10 repositories, but you can download it from Adobe: http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/
      He thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
        Is there a particular reason you need this? Okular should handle PDFs without problem.

is there a short coming in Okular's pdf reading i'm unaware of ?
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I haven't yet encountered a PDF that threw Okular for a loop, thus my question.

Comment

Although Okular handles pretty much everything you can throw at it, 95% of DRM included. There are some weird PDFs with ridiculous DRM that it can't open because it needs to authenticate against a server or something. The ignore DRM settings for Okular isn't sufficient in this case.

Okular does have such a gorgeous interface and so many great functions.

Comment

Well, unfortunately I do need it for tax purposes, there are some forms that require it with regard to
              the completion of interactive form fields. Okular can't do this. It's a damn nuisance because I vastly
              prefer the much lighter Okular.

Comment

IIRC Okular has full support for forms. Then again I've never really had to work with immensely complicated documents like a tax return so I've never tested it intensively but when a form was in a pdf I just use to click the dialog box to show forms and everything worked perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
                  IIRC Okular has full support for forms. Then again I've never really had to work with immensely complicated documents like a tax return so I've never tested it intensively but when a form was in a pdf I just use to click the dialog box to show forms and everything worked perfectly.
                  No, it definitely won't work on that tax site. Firstly, in Firefox one would need to disable apparmor or edit the profile to allow rw pdf. After that one would need the kparts plugin, not sure whether it works with Firefox, in order to open the pdf inside the browser. This would be needed to be able to save and/or submit the completed form onsite. With Opera, using the kparts plugin, Okular opens inside the browser, Chrome always opens a new window. In both cases Okular is unusable for that site.
                  Furthermore as regards acrobat reader you have to run it on a 32-bit system to get it to load inline in the browser. If it isn't inline you can't file. My 64-bit Kubuntu brought up Acroread as an external app to the browser. Everything worked, but I couldn't save or file it onsite. (Mozplugger will open it inside the browser but same story re. submiting or saving the form onsite).

Comment

As an experiment, you might try manually downloading the 64-bit Oneiric build from the repository and installing that. It just might work.

Comment

Working...
                    X