X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No sound without headphone

Good day.
    I've begin to use kubuntu just few days ago.
    My pc has a motherboard Asus P8H67 -M with an integrated ALC887-VD 8-channel.
    The computer is connected with a monitur asus VK228 (wuth webcam) via HDMI and USB.
    On the green/lime front connection I have a headphone.
    This is my problem: with the headphone I'm able to hear music and system sounds, without it's impossible to hear anything. I tried all the available configurations but nothing.
    Just for who will so kind to give me a suggestion, the computer has ubuntu as alternative so. If I make the restart of kubuntu and I choose ubuntu, the system starts with sounds all in order.
    Can some good guy help a poor beginner?
    Thanks in advance
    I am not young enough to know everything. (Oscar Wilde)

If sounds are working within Ubuntu but not Kubuntu, I would say that it is a problem with kmix. Is kmix running at the start? Do you see the sound icon on the taskbar? Is kmix set to mute?

Comment

Thanks for your post.
      If I click on Kmix icon nothing happens, if I run the command from the konsole this is the answer:

mario@mario-kubuntu:~$ kmix
      QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
      QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.

Await your comment
      Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by mamario62 View Post
        mario@mario-kubuntu:~$ kmix
        You'll see that error a lot with KDE! Its usually not a big deal, but it can be problematic in rare cases. Have you tried going into phonon? Play around there a little.

Also, you could try "alsamixer" from the terminal and see if its not muted or really soft, maybe change the audio device etc. This isn't ideal but sometimes it works.

Comment

Phonom, alsamixer, tried. I have no idea how can I solve this problem!

Comment

Look, I'm not really a master of sound configuration/KDE but I can give you a trick that worked for me. First you log out. Then switch to a TTY with Alt+Ctrl+F1/F2...F6 and login with your normal credentials.

Code:
            $ rm ~/.pulse-cookie
            $ rm -r ~/.pulse
            $ sudo reboot
            The reboot might be unnecessary but I would just do it for the warm fuzzy XP/Vista/Win7-like feeling it gives you and the fact that rebooting has never hurt anybody unless you are in an uptime competition so just do it.

Hopefully this might help. Good chance you will have to play around with kmix/phonon/alsamixer again and see if you can solve it. If this doesn't work then maybe somebody else with more experience can help you.

Comment

I did what you wrote...no changes.
              With headphone music and system sound are fantastic, if i disconnect the headphone and is a big silent.
              Other ideas?

In any case thanks a lot to all are trying to help me.

Comment

Well its just a setting somewhere we just need to keep trying different things until we figure it out. Well a nice tool that a lot of people swear by is pavucontrol. Its a really good way of interacting with pulse audio. Veromix is really nice too. You could install them and give them a go see if something works.

This may seem really silly but its important. What graphics card are you using? Nvidia/AMD/Intel and which driver (Open Source/Proprietary.)

Have you ever let KDE forget about any audio devices? It usually comes with a pop-up says KDE has determined ... blah ... blah ... blah .... <list of things> and a few options? Its important.

Comment

This happened to me one time when I plugged head phones in. The speakers were automatically muted when I plugged them in. After I unplugged, the speakers remained muted. When I right clicked on the speaker in system tray the mute was not selected but when I right clicked on the speaker I ticked and unticked the mute icon and the speakers started working.

Comment

Thank to all of you.
                    1)Graphic card is Nvidia Geforce 620 that uses proprietary driver.
                    I will try with veromix
                    Pauly followed your procedure, it doesn't work unfortunately.

Pavucontrol gives me the actual situation and all the speakers symbol are marked with a red cross even if the sound inside the headphone is right.
                    Can't find veronix on muon.
                    Last edited by mamario62; Dec 01, 2012, 05:18 AM.

Comment

Updated situation.
                      Looking for on internet, I found a discussion about my problem where the suggestion was to remove pulsaudio, restart and configure kmix.I did it.
                      I have a funny situation now: headphone always working, the hdmi speakers of the screen now work JUST for the test of kmix, no chance to make them play music!
                      Someone please help me, I'm getting mad.

Comment

Remove pulseaudio ! Every time I've previously tried to get rid of it everything went to ****. Well since you've removed it, you might try messing with alsamixer a bit more. Anyways, I'm at the end of my capacity. I've never really had issues with sound so I don't have much experience with it. Best of luck...

Comment

Removing PulseAudio might have been sound advice a couple years ago, but it's rarely the proper thing to do these days. Also, realize that you'll be running in a state that is not tested by any of the Kubuntu development process, so there's no way to predict how a PulseAudio-less computer will behave.

Comment

Ok, I've re-installed pulse audio, music and sound from headphone, but it appears not to consider the hdmi output. I just try to set all configurations available, but no chance.
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]3841[/ATTACH]
                            This message is new.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mamario62 View Post
                              Ok, I've re-installed pulse audio, music and sound from headphone, but it appears not to consider the hdmi output. I just try to set all configurations available, but no chance.
                              This message is new.
                              try (for HDMI output) right click the kmix icon in the system tray>click audio setup>click the audio hardware setup tab in the window that will pop up>click the profile drop down box and set for HDMI output .

VINNY
                              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                              16GB RAM
                              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                              X