This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu x386 12.10 installer hangs before 'Disk Setup'

I'm installing Kubuntu 12.10 on my Dell M70. When I try and go directly to installer, it hangs right after the 'Preparing to install Kubuntu' screen. When I go to the live desktop and then install, it hangs exactly at the same place (After 'Preparing to install Kubuntu' and 'Disk Setup').

I know there isn't an alternate installer any longer, but can anyone recommend what I can do?

Are you using the manual or automatic partitioning method?

Comment

Manually-partition-prior-to-booting-the-Kubuntu-disk.
      GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

This is funky...

The laptop has a 80 gig hard drive. Roughly a third running Windows 7 32. Kubuntu install using the automatic partitioner worked the first go. Did some things on the install I didn't like so went back and tried a reinstall. This is where it would hang.

The ONLY thing that would get it working again was to take a gparted disk, undo all of the partition changes I made, make the ntfs system take up the entire disk, and then reinstall. I have three primary partitions. The NTFS, the / directory, and the /home directory plus swap.

Interesting.

Got it working, but weird.

Comment

How does one manually install this OS? I noticed no option for this. I'm not prepared to do what the OP did. It either installs or I choose a different OS.

Comment

you start the installer and at the disk setup/partitioning phase you select manual partitioning and set the points for / & /home (whatever) to where you want them to be .........I would suggest you pre partition the drive with the blank (except for file system's) partitions that you want first ..

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
              you start the installer and at the disk setup/partitioning phase you select manual partitioning and set the points for / & /home (whatever) to where you want them to be .........I would suggest you pre partition the drive with the blank (except for file system's) partitions that you want first ..

VINNY
              Oh, okay, that's what I would expect. I guess I'm not getting as far as the OP then. At the Prepare screen, it just sits there with the wheels spinning.

Comment

did you launch the installer at boot , or go to the live environment first and launch the installer from the desktop short cut ?

VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

did you launch the installer at boot , or go to the live environment first and launch the installer from the desktop short cut ?

VINNY
                  I tried both.

This distro also makes me install Firefox each time. In fact, I had to install a 2nd time on one occasion.

I think a distro should already have the browser installed. I couldn't log on with the default browser. Rekonq?

I guess my interest in Kubuntu is waning. I don't think there's anything left to try. I think Kubuntu might want to re-think their priority on their installer.

If it doesn't work this time, I'm going to install Mint with KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by kdeputer View Post
                    I tried both.

This distro also makes me install Firefox each time. In fact, I had to install a 2nd time on one occasion.
                    now you are confusing me....did you get through the install process, the fire fox install comes after the OS install?

I think a distro should already have the browser installed. I couldn't log on with the default browser. Rekonq?
                    you think he thinks she thought ..........fire fox is not included by default to save space in the.ISO

I guess my interest in Kubuntu is waning. I don't think there's anything left to try. I think Kubuntu might want to re-think their priority on their installer.

If it doesn't work this time, I'm going to install Mint with KDE.
                    I hope you like it .........I love my Kubuntu , but to be fair I have not tryed the 12.10 installer yet , I will tomorrow

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

LOL! Wow, the installer is one of the worst I've ever encountered. At least, they included a 'minimize' function with the window. That's really useful! LOL!

Well, Kubuntu gets a big fail.

Comment

LOL! Wow, the installer is one of the worst I've ever encountered. At least, they included a 'minimize' function with the window. That's really useful! LOL!

Well, Kubuntu gets a big fail.
                        so just what happened did you get it installed or did it just sit there with the wheel's spinning ?

if the 12.10 dose not want to install try the 12.04 LTS ver. and see if you have a similar expereance .

and what kind of hardware are you installing to?

VINNY
                        16GB RAM

Comment

so just what happened did you get it installed or did it just sit there with the wheel's spinning ?

if the 12.10 dose not want to install try the 12.04 LTS ver. and see if you have a similar expereance .

and what kind of hardware are you installing to?

VINNY
                          I thought something must really be wrong so I checked the md5sum. It doesn't match what is on the Kubuntu site. So, I'm downloading a new .iso and will try again. As I posted in another section, I have an Asus P5Q vanilla mobo, Q6600 so basic LGA 775 hardware. It is old but is not usually a problem with any distro one installs.

I was able to boot Kubuntu 12.10 fine from a usb stick and the only issue I previously encountered was a sound setting in Sound Notifications.

I did copy the .iso I had with a program/utility known as YUMI MULTIBOOT, though. It's found on the pendrivelinux site. I was only able to get the *buntu distros though or those with an Ubuntu base. Strange. I'm tentatively blaming that utility and the copies until I can try the more traditional way with a DVD.

I often use dd as well so I will do that next time.

Comment

Got bit by this today, coming back to Ubuntu for the first time since 2009-ish.

MD5 checks out. Installer hangs Between "Prepare" and "Disk Setup" whether I'm running off a burned DVD or a live USB.

Turns out that the swap partition already on my hard drive was getting mounted and used by the live environment. I wiped the drive clean with the partition editor and things went as expected.

It might have worked fine if I had simply told the partitioner to deactivate the swap and then retried the installation. I didn't test that possibility.

Someone might want to drop a bug report that installing onto a system that has a swap partition defined already has some issues.

Comment

I have two SWAP partitions (one on each disk of a two disk system). I had no problem installing. I did pre-partition the HDD before booting to install.
                              GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

Working...
                              X