X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Network Card Installed Problem - Kubuntu 8.04

Hi everyone,

I am quite new to both Kubuntu and Linux. You can say i just started using linux yesterday. So my questions may seem absurd, but hey, i am the newbie right?

Why did i start using linux? Actually i had to, because "Caldera Rip software" doesn't work with any other OS, but Kubuntu 8.04.

So, if we get over the introduction part;

I installed Kubuntu 8.04 and the Caldera softrip(don't ask "how did you even do that", i managed to do it some how, with some help), but my computer says you don't have any network/ethernet card installed. Well, i know, i have one and running, because it works fine with windows boot. I searched a lot before opening the thread, but couldn't find an easy guide for "hey, i don't know what i am doing" people(yes, people like me). Actually i don't need my ethernet for internet connection but to plug my wide format printing machine(it works only with Ethernet/Lan cable). I guess if i can make the ethernet card work, then i can solve the rest by my self.

By reading the New Guy guide, i learned that you need some info before you can start to help me, so here it is;

My ethernet card is : Atheros AR8152 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller(NDIS 6.20)
    intel core i3 cpu M380@2.53ghz
    3 gb ram
    win7 64bit

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
    DISTRIB_RELEASE=8.04
    DISTRIB_CODENAME=hardy
    DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 8.04.1"

caldera@caldera-laptop:~$ apt-cache show grub
    Package: grub
    Priority: optional
    Section: admin
    Installed-Size: 832
    Maintainer: Ubuntu Kernel Team <kernel-team@lists.ubuntu.com>
    Architecture: i386
    Version: 0.97-29ubuntu21
    Provides: linux-boot-loader
    Depends: debconf (>= 1.5.19) | cdebconf, libc6 (>= 2.4), libncurses5 (>= 5.6+20071006-3), ucf (>= 3.004-0ubuntu2), udev (>= 117-5)
    Suggests: grub-doc, mdadm
    Description: GRand Unified Bootloader
    GRUB is a GPLed bootloader intended to unify bootloading across x86
    operating systems. In addition to loading the Linux kernel,
    it implements the Multiboot standard, which allows for flexible loading
    of multiple boot images (needed for modular kernels such as the GNU Hurd).
    Original-Maintainer: Grub Maintainers <pkg-grub-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>

caldera@caldera-laptop:~$ sudo ifconfig
    [sudo] password for caldera:
    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:166 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:166 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:13112 (12.8 KB) TX bytes:13112 (12.8 KB)

caldera@caldera-laptop:~$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Unknown device 0044 (rev 02)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Unknown device 0045 (rev 02)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Unknown device 3b64 (rev 06)
    00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Unknown device 3b3c (rev 05)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Unknown device 3b56 (rev 05)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Unknown device 3b42 (rev 05)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Unknown device 3b44 (rev 05)
    00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Unknown device 3b46 (rev 05)
    00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Unknown device 3b4a (rev 05)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Unknown device 3b34 (rev 05)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev a5)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Unknown device 3b0b (rev 05)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Unknown device 3b2f (rev 05)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation Unknown device 3b30 (rev 05)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device 68e1
    12:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Unknown device 4727 (rev 01)
    13:00.0 Ethernet controller: Attansic Technology Corp. Unknown device 2062 (rev c1)
    caldera@caldera-laptop:~$

If you need any other info please tell me what and how to get it.

Please help me out and thanks for your interest in my problem.

The chip is likely too new to have a compatible driver module available for 8.04, so the card is probably not recognized correctly during boot and no driver module loaded.

As it stands, 8.04 is not supported on desktops anymore (servers are supported for a few more months), so I would not recommend using it anymore.

Are you sure the software you need won't run on newer versions of kubuntu?
    Last edited by kubicle; Nov 29, 2012, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
      The chip is likely too new to have a compatible driver module available for 8.04, so the card is probably not recognized correctly during boot and no driver module loaded.

As it stands, 8.04 is not supported on desktops anymore (servers are supported for a few more months), so I would not recommend using it anymore.

Are you sure the software you need won't run on newer versions of kubuntu?

http://www.caldera.com/support/table-of-compatibilites/

Comment

As I am unfamiliar with the software, do they ship their own modified distributions...as the page lists "Caldera Custom Kubuntu 8.04" and "Caldera Debian 1.1" as supported OS options?

One option could be to install a newer version of kubuntu (one that supports your laptop's hardware)...and run kubuntu 8.04 (or Caldera Debian) in a virtual machine (like vmware or virtualbox) on top of that. The virtual machine should abstract your hardware so the guest os can use your hardware (as long as it's supported on the host OS).

Another option could be trying to build the your own kernel modules for your hardware or try installing a newer kernel (but considering the age of 8.04 I can't really tell whether those will build or run with it).

Have you tried contacting their support or a support forum (if they have one)...(they are likely more in touch with the software than any of us here)

Comment

Working...
        X