X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im Sticking with Kubuntu and Formatting Windows partition

DISTRIB_RELEASE=12.10 64bit Kubuntu
    KDE Platform Version 4.9.2
    GRand Unified Bootloader (Legacy version)
    PC=Desktop PC, Home built
    CPU = AMD Phenom 64
    GPU = ATI HD7770
    RAM = 4GB
    HDD's = 3
    1, 80gb SSD, NTFS
    2, 1tb SATA Storage, Mixed NTFS and Linux partion types
    3, 500gb SATA Storage drive NTFS
    PARTITIONS = A complete mess

Hi,
    Longish story short I need some help and advice in cloning or moving my Kubuntu installation over to my SSD which contains a glorified webpage of an OS called Windows 8!!

I've used Linux many times before but just never stuck with it, Last time was Ubuntu 9.10 and I just got sick of fixing Graphics problems, Sound problems and other problems.

I recently decided I must stick with Linux this time so I installed Ubuntu 12:10 and really didn't like the Gnome environment.
    Done a little research and found Kubuntu
    I am so happy with Kubuntu, It's everything I could want from an OS and more. (Apart from gaming, but Steam on it's way)

Anyway, Its not been completely hassle free but I have persevered and now have no screen tearing and a great stable system that I am very happy with.

This brings me to my question.

How do I go about Moving Kubuntu from one HDD to another?
    I would much prefer for it to sit happy on my fast quiet SSD than slug away on my nasty noisy HDD.

This is something I could do within Windows without a problem because I understand the File systems and cloning process.
    However, Linux is still new to me and although I am a stubborn person who likes to work things out for himself, I just cannot bare the thought of starting again from fresh.

I would really appreciate a guide, Software recommendations and some info regarding the GRUB.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Kubuntu is just fantastic!!
    Last edited by CrazyDiamond; Nov 25, 2012, 11:45 AM. Reason: Hadn't finished the post

Are you asking for help on a partitioning scheme?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post

Are you asking for help on a partitioning scheme?

Sorry, I thought I was quite clear. Maybe not.

I am asking how to move my Kubuntu install from one HDD to another.
      Clone the drive and the boot loader over to my SSD from my HDD.

Comment

You can do all that but frankly, it's much easier and faster to re-install and move your /home and whatever settings you have changed over instead.

The boot loader doesn't need cloning per se, just an install:

sudo grub-install /dev/sdb

How you clone your install will depend on what file systems, partition scheme, and other details of your set up. Clonezilla usually works well.

In my opinion, this is the best long term solution:

1. Leave your current working Kubuntu install alone for now - it's a great backup and still usable if you trash your new install.
        2. Research the proper way to partition, set up, and which filesystems to use for your SSD.
        3. Set your system to boot to the SSD, set it up per step 2, install Kubuntu.
        4. Copy the contents of your entire /home to your new install.
        5. Address all your previous issues on the new install carefully.
        6. Once it's stable and usable, then you can wipe your old install or keep it as a backup.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          You can do all that but frankly, it's much easier and faster to re-install and move your /home and whatever settings you have changed over instead.

The boot loader doesn't need cloning per se, just an install:

sudo grub-install /dev/sdb

How you clone your install will depend on what file systems, partition scheme, and other details of your set up. Clonezilla usually works well.

In my opinion, this is the best long term solution:

1. Leave your current working Kubuntu install alone for now - it's a great backup and still usable if you trash your new install.
          2. Research the proper way to partition, set up, and which filesystems to use for your SSD.
          3. Set your system to boot to the SSD, set it up per step 2, install Kubuntu.
          4. Copy the contents of your entire /home to your new install.
          5. Address all your previous issues on the new install carefully.
          6. Once it's stable and usable, then you can wipe your old install or keep it as a backup.

That's very helpful my friend.
          I am glad I asked now.

So I am assuming after the fresh Install I will need to boot from a Live distro and replace the HOME folder?
          Also will all my settings, Theme, Applications etc work from replacing just the HOME folder?

I will be using the same Root name and password.

Thanks

Comment

/dev/sda1: LABEL="System Reserved" UUID="BEF22265F222225F" TYPE="ntfs"
            /dev/sda2: UUID="86AC2E44AC2E2F5D" TYPE="ntfs"
            /dev/sdb1: LABEL="Film & T.V" UUID="32F6CFE4F6CFA687" TYPE="ntfs"
            /dev/sr0: LABEL="CCNA cd1" TYPE="iso9660"
            /dev/sdc1: LABEL="Downloads" UUID="661AD0301ACFFAD7" TYPE="ntfs"
            /dev/sdc5: UUID="e558829b-7867-4fa4-8439-fa6e85acee6c" TYPE="swap"
            /dev/sdc6: LABEL="Music, Downloads & Pictures" UUID="003D54FE2CB751B3" TYPE="ntfs"
            /dev/sdc7: UUID="71ec66b6-f125-4aed-8835-3269510c3bbe" TYPE="ext4"
            /dev/sdc8: UUID="2401d1b4-734b-4591-9960-b1c73cbe2bda" TYPE="ext4"

Appears that my old Ubuntu installation is still there also.
            Maybe I can use that to migrate the /home folders?
            Or something called Rsync.

Comment

PartedMagic has a GUI cloning software. It also has Clonezilla if needed. I think the cloning program is called gpartimage. Partimage being the non-GUI backend. It's a 200 MB download:

http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=downloads
              GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

Copying the /home folder is usually very easy if that's all you're copying. Size-wise there's not much in it.

In answer to your other question: It contains all your user-based settings and files. For example, LibreOffice is installed during your initial install. Once you open your first file as a user, it creates a hidden subfolder in your /home directory and puts any preferences you set and your user info there.

Another thing to consider - and I can't believe I left it out the first time - it is good practice to have /home on a separate partition from the install. It makes some house keeping chores like backing up easier, prevents leaving your system un-bootable if you or some process fills up your home, and protects your home files and settings if you have to re-install for any reason.

Since you're considering a new install, you can create the /home partition prior to the installation and copy your current /home to it. Then, when you do the new install - select 'Manual Partitioning" and set the /home partition as "Use as..." and the mount point of /home - but DO NOT select formatting. Then all your stuff will be ready for use at first boot.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks for your help guys.

oshunluvr, I read about keeping the /home folder on a separate partition and it seems like a good idea.
                  Thanks for the tips and help. I will be sure to post within the next few days to let you know how it all went.

Comment

Working...
                  X