Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fresh install of 12.10 - First time I've ever installed and encrypted my home folder

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fresh install of 12.10 - First time I've ever installed and encrypted my home folder

I have installed a fresh install of 12.10 x64. For the first time, I have checked to encrypt the home directory. Now the System Notification Helper says I need to enter a passphrase. So I start the process and click the very obvious 'run here' button. It then brings up a konsole type window that has "Passphrase:" on it. So after typing for a while, I figured out I did something wrong, and reinstalled. Same story.

I'm obviously doing something wrong. When you enter the passphrase, is there any sequence that is needed?

Missing something....

When you encrypt your home
    Folder, logging in using your password is what decrypts it, so you are fine there, I think, unless there is some sort of error message involved.

The second dialog is probably kwallet asking for its password. The konsole opening up may be due to a saved session trying to open something. Temporarily turning this off should clear that out if this is the case.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by claydoh; Nov 21, 2012, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigAmbulance View Post
      Now the System Notification Helper says I need to enter a passphrase.
      Is this about installing updates? If you have logged in successfully then your home folder should have been decrypted successfully, what are the contents of your home directory? including hidden files/folders.

Comment

@claydoh: No, it's not a kwallet app.
        @james147: It's not about updates.

I think what is happening is that when I 'System Notification Helper' menu, it brings up a console (konsole I beleive) screen and asks for the passphrase. Next time I am by the machine I will try my password and log the results.

Comment

Found out that what it was is a notification to copy down the hash value of the encrypted mount point. Enter the password to see it while logged in, and it will give you the value.

Thanks for the advice anyway fellas.

Comment

Working...
          X