This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting rid of Mint KDE

Wanting to run KDE as an alternative to Mint Cinnamon, I installed Kmint on another partition, but it kept locking up, so just as an experiment I installed Kubuntu 12.04 in another partition. This seems to run very well, no crashes so far, and I 've installed most of the additional programs I require,as well as Kubuntu-lowfat -settings as my system is a bit low on power.

Now I'd like to get rid of K-Mint. I guess I could just re-partition the partition it is in, but that will still leave it as an option in Grub, I think. How can I correct this. I guess it will also leave me with an empty partition, which I presume that I could use for storage, or can I delete it altogether. Which would be the best alternative.

IS there anyway I could increase the size of the partition where Kubuntu is installed without having to to do a re-install.

I hope I am not asking to much.

Deleting the Mint KDE partition and doing an "sudo update-grub" will get rid of the option in the grub boot menu. You could try Gparted from Mint to move or extend the Kubuntu partition. (You'd have to have the Kubu part unmounted before you try it, hance doing it from Mint).
    The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

A liveCD such as PartedMagic will have GParted which will enlarge your partition. I believe UBCD (Universal Boot CD) has a program (Active KillDisk) that will zero-write a partition and won't hurt any of the other partitions on a disk. PartedMagic may have a program that will do the same thing but I'm not sure as I always fire up UBCD to do that.

PartedMagic: http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=downloads

UBCD: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

The PartedMagic download is about 200 MB and the UBCD is about 360 MB. Both are very useful tools to have. If I had to choose only one it would be PartedMagic (PM is a GUI-based system while UBCD is not, though UBCD has many more tools on its LiveCD a lot of them do the same thing and it's not really an OS).
      Last edited by luckyone; Nov 20, 2012, 11:19 AM.
      GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

System rescue is another really helpful little live distro that has Gparted and is really light on resources so is super fast for a live distro.

http://www.sysresccd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage

There are some excellent howto's and a link to the download page on the above sight. It's THE only rescue disc I ever use Even if you've followed the advice above I'd still recommend that you take a look as you'll learn loads.

Comment

My copy of System Rescue isn't current, but I always keep it with my other tools. It is a good one +1 here.
          GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

Originally posted by bsniadajewski View Post
            Deleting the Mint KDE partition and doing an "sudo update-grub" will get rid of the option in the grub boot menu. You could try Gparted from Mint to move or extend the Kubuntu partition. (You'd have to have the Kubu part unmounted before you try it, hance doing it from Mint).
            I did this and found that I had lost my Grub, so in the end I re-installed Kubuntu to take over the whole disk.

Comment

Working...
            X