This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ram usage.

Hi just joined and a newbie ,just wondering how kubuntu 12.10 uses in memory. I have 12gigs in ram my hardware info amd phenom 2 x6 1055t cpu, motherboard msi gxm-gd65, ati radeon hd 5670 graphics card. kinfo center says physical memory is 1% and total free memory is 66% used physical memory 33%. i have 750gb samsung hd and 3tb seagate barracuda

i tought there was a problem did some checking found everything is fine with ram usage system is running great.

Comment

open a terminal and type "free" in it then press enter you will see the RAM usage ,,,,,post the output hear .

another nice way to see this is the program "top" open it the same way as free.

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Don't forget about this classic: http://www.linuxatemyram.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dibl View Post
          Don't forget about this classic: http://www.linuxatemyram.com/
          LOL ,,,,,love that picture.

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
            LOL ,,,,,love that picture.
            +1 The pic is classic!
            Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
            tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

I have 8 gigs in my machine, I think I have only ever seen it use a grand total of 2 gigs under the heaviest mulit-tasking condition (torrent seeding, transcoding, email, messenger, browser, rythmbox, etc etc open all at the same time) I have ever thrown at it, that doesn't include the disk cache, which gets kicked aside when that RAM is needed. You WANT your OS to utilize your RAM, makes your system instantaneously responsive and snappy. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
                I have 8 gigs in my machine, I think I have only ever seen it use a grand total of 2 gigs under the heaviest mulit-tasking condition (torrent seeding, transcoding, email, messenger, browser, rythmbox, etc etc open all at the same time) I have ever thrown at it, that doesn't include the disk cache, which gets kicked aside when that RAM is needed. You WANT your OS to utilize your RAM, makes your system instantaneously responsive and snappy. ;-)
                Only twice have I managed to use all of my 18 gigs of ram (excluding disk cache of course), once when Qt Creator had been running for a few days and had sprung a memory leak and once when I tried to compile qt with the -j option just to see what would happen... naturally with that much ram I didn't have any swap to it all went to hell both times

Comment

Working...
                X