This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to connect my 2 laptops through a lan wire for sharing files

hi frnds ! im trying to connect my two laptops through a lan cable for sharing files between them but im unable to do so
    please NOTE :
    one of my laptop runs on Kubuntu 12.04 and another runs on windows 7
    both of my laptops are HP pavilion dv6
    plz help
    Last edited by Guest; Nov 09, 2012, 03:31 AM.

Need mor info. Cant you connect with a crossover cable and use samba?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
    Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Here is an easy solution!

###

Connect the two computers with the lan cable. Then manually set their IP adresses (You probably don't have a DHCP server running). Lets say computer 1/2 = 192.168.172.11/12

Now open a terminal in the directory you want to share on computer 1 (With dolphin just press F4).

Run this command
      Code:
      python -m SimpleHTTPServer 1800
      Now open a a browser session on computer 2 and the url "192.168.172.12:1800" then press enter

You should see a really basic file hierarchy displayed that is recursive and you can easily download files. To upload one just add it or a symlink to it in the directory.

###

This is just a quick solution for a once off thing. Else I can explain to you how to set-up samba for a more permanent/persistent solution. This is a trick I like using for quick file transfers.

Comment

Hi jpenguin, the Ethernet ports on newer computers like these HP's will auto negotiate around the fact you don't use a cross cable.

Comment

Working...
        X