X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vineyard

Hi...
    I'm trying to install Wine and Vineyard in Kubuntu 12.10 with the help of this tutorial. There was no problem with Wine, but I can'tinstall Vineyard. Only manages to add a repository, but the installation fails. When I'm trying to install the downloaded package of Vineyard it says that will not install because it can not fulfill dependencies. Can U help.... or there is another way to easy install, manage and cofigure win apps in wine? Maby U have detailed tutorials how to configure wine and vineyard/winetricks/play on linux to easy install win apss i seperate prefixes.
    I've found that I can reliably run Cinema 4d, and some of my other work programs needed to 3d graphics. And I'm sick of clumsiness Windows ...
    I'd love to move with work to kubuntu, but not everything work for now...

Thank you in advance for your answer

1) SOME Microsoft Windows programs will run on Wine...but NOT ALL.

2) Can you give some more information about Vineyard please? A link would be helpful. What is it? Where are you trying to download from?
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

1) Cinema 4D runs ok, when wine is configured. But I would like to learn configure wine, and prefixes.
      2) Vineyard: http://vineyardproject.org/ ppa:cybolic/vineyard-testing
      "Vineyard is a collection of tools and libraries designed to make managing Windows programs on Linux easier. More specifically, it aims to improve the integration of Wine and the Free Desktop and to make it easier to create programs and tools that integrate with Wine."

Comment

Looking at the Vineyard site it says:

"Or as OMG! Ubuntu! describes it: “Vineyard gives users an impressively easy way to configure Wine and help provide tight integration between Wine and their GNOME desktop.”"

Kubuntu, as you will know, is based on KDE and not Gnome. Unfortunately Vineyard may be Gnome specific...

If you are looking for a general introduction to Wine, I recommend starting here: http://frankscorner.org/
        "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Looking at the ppa, they don't have packages for 12.10 in there yet.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Thank U... I'll browse frank's corner to learn more... Maybe vineyard is not needed. I'll write that I was able to install all ma Apps...

One more.
            I have now dooal boot with windows. Two patritions for linux /, and for Home, and five drive's in NTFS for windows. But wine-Cinema 4d only sees linux drives/partitions. For example, when I want to open a cinema 4d file from NTFS, I can not. How do I do that a program in wine saw all partitions, including NTFS ones?

Comment

Don't know much about Vineyard, but here are some tips about Wine:

Always search the wine applications database for the application you want to install it will tell you how well other have managed to get it to work (don't give much hope if it is listed as bronze/silver, but it might still work if the other tests are old enough). It will also tell you what other users have done to make it work (if it does work at all) and tips on improving performance.

The latest version of winetricks is your friend

Set the environment variable WINEPREFIX to change the prefix you use for launching applications in (defaults to ~/.wine).

Remember to install the 32bit libraries of things you need if you are running on 64bit (especially for your graphics card).

You might also want to read the ArchLinux wiki entry, not all of it is relevant in Kubuntu but it does hold some very useful tips.

Most of all be patient, Windows is always a pain to work with, especially if it is interfacing with something else

Comment

The NTFS drives/partitions need to be mounted before you can access them from applications.
                The one exception is Dolphin, provided the drive is visible in the left hand panel it will be mounted when clicked on.
                The best way is to have them mounted during boot and that happens to drives that are mentioned in the etc/ftab file.
                When you have mounted a drive via Dolphin an entry will be added in the file /etc/mtab and you can then simply copy this entry into ftab so it starts up during the next boot.

Here's an instruction to do it the nice way:
                http://milindpadalkar.wordpress.com/...-at-boot-time/

This is from my fstab file:
                Code:
                # /windows was on /dev/sda2 during installation
                UUID=524A98114A97EFC9 /windows        ntfs    defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0       0
                Obviously this needs to be done using sudo and please start by making a back-up copy!
                For fixed disks you can replace the disk UUID by the /dev/sd** as mentioned in the comment.
                Luckily Kubuntu will default to using Kate as the text editor and it should make it's own backup as fstab~ but better be safe than sorry.

Comment

In addition to what Teunis said, you need to map the mount point to a windows drive letter for programs run in wine to be able to see it. This can be done by running "winecfg" and switching to the "Drives" tab.

Comment

Working...
                  X