This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resizing encrypted partiton.

After laying with Kubuntu over the last few months I have come to encrypting my disks, but could with a little help.

I currently have the following:

sda1 - 100 M - win 7 (system partition) - boot flag
    sda2 - 48.73 G - win 7 x64 (Truecrypt)
    sda3 - 203.95 M - /boot
    sda4 --- extended part ---
    -sda5 99.98 G - crypt /root (Kubuntu 12.10 x64)

sdb1 1.36 T - NTFS - file storage

sdc1 ---extended part ---
    -sdc5 - 1.86 G - unformatted (left over from previous setup)
    -sdc6 - 0.91 T - crypt /home

Whilst I was fighting with the Kubuntu installer about keyfiles as well as arguing with GRUB 2 I absent mindlessly told /root to take up the remaining space on the disk instead of just using 20 G.

I ideally wanted to just shrink the partition but there seems to be no way way to do this and having got part way into and having trouble, I came to the conclusion that it might just be easier to reinstall /root.

If I have to reinstall windows as well then that's not too bad as there is noting on it and its only a baisc install with drivers and a couple of programs, so wouldn't take too tong.

So I'm hoping I can just reinstall /root, point to the existing encrypted (LUKs) /home and sling GRUB back on /sda3.

The question is I don't know if it will work like that and what needs to be done with Truecrypt and will I spend the evening swearing at GRUB again?

Unless there is a simple way to do a resize that I have missed?

To give some additional background for clarity I had to install Kubuntu from the 12.04 x64 alt DVD and upgrade as 12.10 kept giving me error about not being able to create keyfiles. Also I have not used a LVM.

If people are not able to help then I would be grateful to be pointed in the right direction to some other resources/ forum that may be able to.
    Thanks in anticipation.
Working...
X