This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems With Desktop Effects

I was working on some things and playing games on the internet a couple of days ago when all of my desktop effects suddenly stopped working. It hasn't seemed to affect overall performance, but it does seem to take longer to start up and shut down, and everytime I shut down my computer, kWin crashes and I have to close the crash window. Any advice or solutions?

Hi and welcome to KFN.

Usually when the load is heavy like playing games, desktop effects can get deactivated. Have you tried re-enable them with Alt+Shift+F12 (default short key)

You can also deactivate desktop effects for certain tasks, windows and full screen windows.

Depending on which version of Kubuntu you run you can access this by either right click on the top windows list and choose window decorator settings or access it through Settings > Desktop effects &/or Settings > Window behaviour.

There you'll have the options to configure effects and rules settings for each application/window.

hth & b.r

Jonas
    ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
    Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
    Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
    Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
    - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
    >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Thanks for the reply!
      I have spent over an hour with Settings > Desktop effects & Settings > Window behaviour etc.
      I found the options to configure effects and rules settings for each application/window is very confusing for a beginner. Whatever I changed had no effect, even re-setting these to their default. Maybe it's a software problem

Comment

Originally posted by Bumpalot View Post
        Thanks for the reply!
        I have spent over an hour with Settings > Desktop effects & Settings > Window behaviour etc.
        I found the options to configure effects and rules settings for each application/window is very confusing for a beginner. Whatever I changed had no effect, even re-setting these to their default.
        Yes there are alot of different settings there. Disable effects for the most resource heavy application/window, or try it in full size mode, usually default key is F11, which should be disable effects by default.

Originally posted by Bumpalot View Post
        Maybe it's a software problem
        It could be a driver issue too - what graphics chip do you use? Have a look at additional drivers.

K-menu > Program > System > Additional drivers

See if installing AMD/ATI or Nvidia driver would help - depending on graphic card.

b.r

Jonas
        ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
        Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
        Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
        Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
        - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
        >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

My suspicion is that the effects and performance problems are symptoms of some other underlying cause. It might be useful to see what's in the KWin crash report.

Comment

Working...
          X