This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serious Help Required

Hi ... HELP. Installed Ubuntu 6.06 onto my windows XP system. All went well until I tried to reboot and during this process I got a huge list of file / read errors. I then tried to reboot the machine after just powering down my PC and now all I get is GRUB ERROR 22. The screen flashes and I cannot get my PC to start up at all. How do I remove GRUB and get the machine to boot up in windows at least? My children will kill me if I lose everything...somewhat desperate for assistance. I am working off my laptop as a get out of jail!

Re: Serious Help Required

hi im jacko & im only new to the kubuntu as well but i think you have tried to install one operating system over another and the computer does not understand what you are doing.Now you may have lost all the data on your computer.Now you may have to start fresh with either linux or microsoft.

Comment

I'm a bit new to Linux myself, but someone with more knowledge will probably respond shortly. In the meantime, try restarting your computer. Immediately folowing the screen displaying the system information, another screen saying something like "select operating system to boot" will appear. Press escape within something like three seconds. If an option "recovery mode" appears, select it to boot.

If you can't get to the boot select screen, you might still be able to recover your windows partition. From your BIOS select boot from CDROM, insert your windows installation CD and reboot. When the windows CD starts one of the options should be press F8 to enter "recovery console" or something similar. In recovery console, type "fixmbr" then "fixboot."
      Hope this helps.

P.S. This might sound stupid, but it just occurred to me to ask, did you install Linux in a separate partition?

Comment

I get grub error 22 when a USB drive is attached at start-up.

Comment

Don't panic! If you were going to lose anything, you already did when you installed Linux, so it would be too late now. Fortunately, you probably havent't lost anything. According to this page in the Grub Manual,
          22 : No such partition
          This error is returned if a partition is requested in the device part of a device- or full file name which isn't on the selected disk.
          That means that the GRand Unified Bootloader can't find the partition that is supposed to hold the folder /boot/ (notice that Linux uses the bar dexter rather than the bar sinister for directory names). So it can't load Linux.

But if you follow the first paragraph of Josh's advice. You will see, down at the very bottom of the Grub menu, an entry for windoze. Press the down arrow until that line lights up. Press return and you should be back in windoze.

I'll save fixing Linux for another post. The key bit of information is whether you used the "Desktop" (live plus install) CD or the alternate installer CD.

Comment

Hi everyone thanks for the responses so far. Problem seems deeper than that. I had a partition set up by Windows using partition magic. I then installed 6.06 using a live CD. On reboot I got a listing of I/O errors and never ever saw Ubuntu working. I powered down the PC and on reboot GRUB does not load I get the usual start up screen which goes as far as the memory test. I get the PCI devices listing then verifying DMI pool data, next is the line GRUB loading stage1.5.... then GRUB loading please wait ERROR 22. The screen just flashes and will do nothing. I am set up in BIOS to reboot from CD and have tried the advice above but cannot get my PC beyond this point described above. HELP !

Comment

As a rescue for myself would the following work. Take an old PC with windows on it, take out my existing hard drive that will not boot because of the GRUB problem, put this into the old PC and set it up as a second hard drive. Could I then access it through the old PC and at least get all my windows stuff back??

Comment

It should save your valuable data/music/documents/whatever else, yes.

Also you can try a live CD.

Comment

Hi again,

Thanks for that. I tried the Kubuntu live Cd to reinstall again but it seems to lock up during the install when it tries to create a partition on my hard drive - throws up a read error.... I take it I may have a bad sector on my hard drive where Kubuntu is being installed?? My only hope as far as i can see is use the old PC set up the problem hard drive as a slave and recover as much as I can then reformat it and start again > > > Not fun! Any advice on recovery without having to do this would be greatly appreciated. Is there a way to disable GRUb and stop it running in the first place?

Comment

using the windows XP CD at boot
                    go into recovery mode

when in recovery mode write
                    FIXBOOT
                    press enter
                    then write
                    FIXMBR
                    press enter

this will over write the MBR to the windows defaults and allow you to re boot into windows
                    once that is done you can use the live CD to check the Linux install ...

Comment

Gezzer,

A hearty thanks !!! My PC is alive!! The children will not disown me now!! Thanks to everyone for your quick responses and assistance!

Comment

Working...
                      X