This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any problems if I ?

Hello . I have never try this type of OS before . I have always used Windows . I would like to try something new and different . So here I am . At the moment I am downloading a 64 bit iso of Kubuntu . What I'm planning to do is install Kubuntu onto my laptop 120gb single partition drive and afterwards try to understand how to use it . My question is I'm planning to swap hard drives , one having Kubuntu and my other hard drive with Windows 7 , will there be any problems going back and forth with these 2 different operating system ? ( remember 2 different hard drives not partitions ) I mean if I start using Kubuntu operating system on my laptop and later take the hard drive out and place a windows 7 hard drive in will windows 7 boot up without any problems that Kubuntu might cause ? thanks

If you are physically swapping hard drives with different operating systems on each, then no, you won't have any problems.

Welcome to KFN and the wonderful world of Kubuntu Linux.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      If you are physically swapping hard drives with different operating systems on each, then no, you won't have any problems.

Welcome to KFN and the wonderful world of Kubuntu Linux.
      Ok , great and thanks for the welcome . Can you give me some input what I should learn to do at the beginning stages ? thanks

Comment

Hi m00nd0g, and welcome!

What to learn first is a tough one, but since you are swapping drives, the install will be pretty simple, so probably the first thing you will be presented with are software updates. That part is also very straightforward, but it makes me think that discovering new software is one thing to learn about up front. We have the Muon Software Center, which is a simplified tool to manage software. Finding and managing packages is one key difference between Windows and Linux, so that is a good place to start.

However, I think I would also suggest running a live session right from the install disk to see how things work, and if you find any hardware problems ahead of time, if you want.

A good, and fairly extensive guide can be found here:
        http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Kubuntu_Quantal

Comment

You can take a look at these, I know they are for Ubuntu, but a lot of the information is still good. http://www.kubuntuforums.net/entry.p...Ubuntu-Manuals
          Rob

Comment

Hi ... I will bookmark those links and check them out , thanks . OK , wish me luck I am about to install it now ...

Comment

Originally posted by Robtygart View Post
              You can take a look at these, I know they are for Ubuntu, but a lot of the information is still good. http://www.kubuntuforums.net/entry.p...Ubuntu-Manuals
              I try to view your link and I got this below

m00nd0g, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
              If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Comment

m00nd0g@

You should have no problem accessing the link to Robtygart's Blog page. You have the permissions necessary to do so - I just checked.

Comment

Here it is

I know its for Ubuntu, but it has lots of good helpful information.

These are from makeuseof.com It will ask for a password. subscribe or just type makeuseof

All Manuals

ubuntu-an-absolute-beginners-guide

new-life-bring-old-pc-to-life-with-ubuntu

50-cool-uses-for-live-cds

guide-to-ubuntu-karmic-koala

getting-started-guide-linux
                  Rob

Comment

m00nd0g@

You should have no problem accessing the link to Robtygart's Blog page. You have the permissions necessary to do so - I just checked.
                    Hi ... Every time I click on Robtygart's link I get that message ... http://www.kubuntuforums.net/entry.p...Ubuntu-Manuals

Well I was able to install and use Kubuntu and I am using windows . So I am glad everything so far is good ... Now I need to go back to Kubuntu and start school lol ... Again thanks everyone for your help and links
                    Last edited by m00nd0g; Oct 28, 2012, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Do have/allow cookies to our site?

Comment

Do have/allow cookies to our site?
                        I believe so . I'm using the latest version of Firefox and its set with just the default setting . I haven't touch it or added anything to it . Could it be I need to wait a day or so ? BTW It just that one link I m having the problem with the others are fine
                        Last edited by m00nd0g; Oct 28, 2012, 06:05 PM.

Comment

No. According to the settings for the Additional Usergroup you are in, you have permissions to view/establish blogs here. Do you mind doing me a favor? As an Administrator, I can log in as another member. If you'll logout for just a few minutes, I'll log in as you and see if I can (as you) access the blogs.

Comment

I wonder if its my blog setting? I will go see.
                            Rob

Comment

ok, I will log off for the night and check it out tomorrow , thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X