X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble booting - win7 using Wubi

Hello everyone,

Thanks to work related software, I always use Windows. I had a dual-boot Ubuntu/Kubuntu and no windows setup a couple of years ago, and tried to just make things work through various third party applications and WINE, but it was a constant nightmare... I'm sure a more tech savvy individual could do it, but it was just a constant headache for me. Anyway, Wubi has been great for me - I can always boot into ubuntu, but my computer is just a regular windows 7 machine and all the exchange/office/other stuff is never an issue when updates come around.

So I bought a fancy new laptop recently, an asus G75 from best buy.

hypothetical idea: best buy accepts competitor's prices from brick and mortar stores... did you know that tiger direct technically does have a physical store? and did you know that tiger direct sells refurbished computers at decent discounts? probably immoral, but one doesn't need to lie to get a brand new computer at a tiger direct refurb price. and isn't it their fault for not looking more closely at the page, where it clearly says refurbished? but this is just hypothetical.

I really like it, and I made all the windows backups, so the next order of business was installing Wubi with Kubuntu. It installed/downloaded just as easily and painlessly as always... I'm surprised it isn't a more popular installation method for Ubuntu novices; I would much rather do wubi than run a virtual machine, but that's just me. Unfortunately, when the installation finished, or, nearly finished, and asked me to reboot to complete the installation, windows boot manager had an error after booting, with a message like "windows failed to boot and you need to re-install using the re-installation discs," and I pressed enter, and was greeted with the regular windows boot manager menu of windows/kubuntu. I was worried by the error, so I booted into windows, and it booted just fine. Next, I restarted and tried to boot into Kubuntu (no error screen this time), but when I selected kubuntu it told me that it couldn't boot Kubuntu (I forget why - sorry, that's probably important, I think it may have been a GRUB issue?).

Anyone have any ideas about what may have happened? I never experienced this before. Should I just uninstall wubi and redo the setup, or is it possible that my computer model doesn't play nicely with Wubi? I installed my own hard drive (intel ssd), but everything has been fine on the windows side of things.

Thanks for any suggestions/input!
Working...
X