This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Sound in Kubuntu 12.04 - Can't open mixer in terminal

I have no sound from Kubuntu. The only sound I get is when I switch on the laptop and the old boot jingle plays as it would have previously before booting Mac OSX. Now it boots the Kubuntu OS and not a single peep further.

Tried fixing this with terminal by typing alsamixer but get error - cannot open mixer, no such file or directory.

This is a very similar message that flicks very quickly duringf boot up - error can't find attach card 'default' no such file or directory.

Have no idea if these errors are related.

Thanks, Rob
    Last edited by rob1515; Oct 23, 2012, 10:35 AM.

Checked pulse audio volume control and to my delight output was set to silent. Increased this to 100% but still no sound. The sound bar was jumping around, indicating sound detection, I paused the stream and the bar stopped so it's definitely picking it up. Made me think a hardware problem but the boot jingle still works when I power up....

Any ideas on this? I'm running 12.04 on Mac G4 PPC.
    Thanks

Comment

hi rob, you can try starting the mixer by clicking on the volume icon in the system tray....

Comment

I can. I had a quick look and there's no sound card available and no sound device......

Comment

Is anyone able to advise on this? It appears my sound card isn't picked up. The only device available is a 'dummy output'

Comment

That is usually how I fix my sound problems, Usually when I there is no audio I type in the terminal is: alsamixer. It does work. In ur case, did you try deleting alsa mixer and reinstalling it again. Better yet, try to reinstall it. Maybe there is something wrong or it was not installed properly. That is what I would do. Post the result after you reinstall it alsa.
            You can get me Using Threema: B6WSCFVY
            Mastodon: @pookito@latinos.social
            Jabber: pookito@neko.im

Comment

Originally posted by pookito View Post
              That is usually how I fix my sound problems, Usually when I there is no audio I type in the terminal is: alsamixer. It does work. In ur case, did you try deleting alsa mixer and reinstalling it again. Better yet, try to reinstall it. Maybe there is something wrong or it was not installed properly. That is what I would do. Post the result after you reinstall it alsa.

+1
              type
              Code:
              alsamixer
              See if anything is turned all the way down also hit F6 while your in there and see if your sound card is selected.
              Rob

Comment

So, did u get the sound to work on ur computer?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
                You can get me Using Threema: B6WSCFVY
                Mastodon: @pookito@latinos.social
                Jabber: pookito@neko.im

Comment

Working...
                X