X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adobe Flash.... Help!!

Hi,

I'm finding it difficult to install Adobe Flash Player. When I go to their site using FireFox I'm automatically directed to the right download for my OS - Kubuntu 12.04 32bit. Below the download is a drop menu asking me which version I want - YUM for Linux, .tar .gz, .rpm or APT for Ubuntu 10.4 +. I don't know which one I should download and install.

Something that may be relevant, that's also confusing is every time I open a rekong web browser I'm told there are extra packages available to install. Each time it's the same package 'flash', despite having installed it twice. I've already installed the restricted extras from Package Manager, which I believe is also relevant.

I should point out that I'm not the most technically minded user. I installed Kubuntu because I wanted to keep my Mac running safely. I haven't used Linux before and very happy with it so far. I'm just not as knowledgable as perhaps I should be to deal with this sort of thing

As mentioned, I'm running Kubuntu 12.04 32 bit on a Mac G4 Powerbook. I have no other OS on it. I don't know my GRUB version or KDE. I tried 'alt, f2' to find them but nothing happened.

Any help much appreciated...

Rob

There is a firefox add-on called Flash-Aid which "works for me".
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Hi. I just installed that, thanks. It hasn't worked though as still getting the error in youtube saying I need the latest flash player.

Comment

I found out the righht download, but don't understand what I need to do in Terminal to install it. The instructions below don't make sense to me because I've never used anything like Terminal before.

Installing using the plugin tar.gz:
        o Unpack the plugin tar.gz and copy the files to the appropriate location.
        o Save the plugin tar.gz locally and note the location the file was saved to.
        o Launch terminal and change directories to the location the file was saved to.
        o Unpack the tar.gz file. Once unpacked you will see the following:
        + libflashplayer.so
        + /usr
        o Identify the location of the browser plugins directory, based on your Linux distribution and Firefox version
        o Copy libflashplayer.so to the appropriate browser plugins directory. At the prompt type:
        + cp libflashlayer.so <BrowserPluginsLocation>
        o Copy the Flash Player Local Settings configurations files to the /usr directory. At the prompt type:
        + sudo cp -r usr/* /usr

If someone could take the time to explain step by step exactly what to do I'd appreciate it a lot.

Rob

Comment

After installing the add-on, one must click on the button it adds to the right of the "navigation toolbar". What happens when you do that?
          Regards, John Little
          Regards, John Little

Comment

Hi John,
            I posted thhe thread on the Ubuntu Questions web page. Someone advised that Adobe do not support PowerPC's, which I now remember being the case many years ago. There's also issues with Adobe and iphone 4. Perhaps not with iphone 5. Not sure.

Anyway he has asked me for some output from Terminal relevant to the problem so hopefully I'll get a resolution there.

Thanks anyway, Rob

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
              After installing the add-on, one must click on the button it adds to the right of the "navigation toolbar". What happens when you do that?
              Regards, John Little
              I installed the add-on but it youtube still asks for Adobe Flash....

Comment

Uninstall all versions of Flash that you currently have. Then enable the Partner repository and install adobe-flashplugin and adobe-flash-properties-kde.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                  Uninstall all versions of Flash that you currently have. Then enable the Partner repository and install adobe-flashplugin and adobe-flash-properties-kde.
                  Thanks...

As instructed on Ubuntu Questions forum I've used Terminal to complete this task

sudo apt-get --purge remove gnash gnash-common
                  sudo apt-get clean
                  sudo apt-get install browser-plugin-lightspark

This installed Shockwave Flash 11.1 r550 which is visible in the Plugins tab in Add-ons Manager.

It's kind of worked but playback freezes and jumps a lot. It's not my internet connection. To complete the tasks you suggest I'd need step-by-step advice. This is all very new to me, sorry.

Comment

Play back is fine from rekog so I'll use that until someone I know can come over. He's a little more tech minded than I.

Thanks all for your assistance

Comment

hello. im using Kubuntu 12.10
                      i dont know how to install Adobe Flash Player.
                      youtube cannot play without Adobe Flash Player.
                      im noob for this. help me please.
                      thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by abcdeath View Post
                        hello. im using Kubuntu 12.10
                        i dont know how to install Adobe Flash Player.
                        youtube cannot play without Adobe Flash Player.
                        im noob for this. help me please.
                        thank you.
                        Have you installed Kubuntu-restricted-extras?

If you haven't, one of the packages that it installs is flash plugin for your browser. Providing your browser is Firefox or Chromium or Rekonq or Konqueror.

I have never had a problem playing flash videos in my browsers after installing that package.

If using konqueror as your web browser, install the kpart-webkit package and set it up in konquerors preferences in place of khtml.

Comment

Working...
                        X