Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Live USB Kubuntu 12.04 runs fine but on install it only responds after deskop switch

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live USB Kubuntu 12.04 runs fine but on install it only responds after deskop switch

Hi,

I am new to Kubuntu but had a spare PC so decided to give it a go, I made a live USB key and that ran really nicely, however after I install it fully (I used the full disk so there is no other OS on there) it boots quickly but then the desktop environment is almost totally unresponsive unless I switch desktops and then change back, when I do the item I clicked on or text I entered has appeared, the switch is instant but it is needed for any changes to be made. I have installed several times but get the same problem, from the live USB key it works great but from my HDD after installing it the desktops need to be switched back and forth for the system to respond.

I am somewhat at a loss as to why it would run so well from the USB thumb drive but not from my HDD.

Any help would be much appreciated, my computer specs are as follows:

Asus P5Q motherboard
    Intel Q9650 (Quad) at 3ghz
    8gb RAM
    1.5tb HDD
    Nvidia 9600 GT (MSI)
    M-Audio Delta 66

Does it continue to work OK after the desktop flipping?

Sounds like could be a video driver issue. Go to system settings and turn off desktop effects and test.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks, I disabled them with alt+shift+f12 all and it started working fine, after enabling them slowly it seems it's a problem with OpenGL compositing, so it looks like you are right in that it's a video driver issue.

Thanks very much for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by Yaarmehearty View Post
        Thanks, I disabled them with alt+shift+f12 all and it started working fine, after enabling them slowly it seems it's a problem with OpenGL compositing, so it looks like you are right in that it's a video driver issue.

Thanks very much for the help!
        look for additional drivers or hardware in your kickoff menu. Once open check for new drivers. Nvidia has problems. Also I have heard the blur effect cuases problems. You may be able to turn that off but leave other effects on.

You could also install the non proprietary driver substitue for nvidia called Nouveau driver. Open muon and search for nouveau.

Comment

You might try this

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...ghlight=nvidia

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
          X