This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend me a torrent client please

I have tried at least 5 torrent clients, including KTorrent but not even one of them deals right with magnet links. KTorrent seems not to be able to get the data out of the magnet link and does not start downloading.
    Please recommend me a torrent client which works both with torrents and magnet link. Thanks!

Hello and welcome to KFN.

Ktorrent is one of the best clients out there. Almost as good Qbittorrent, which would be a the recommendation. As far as I remember I think Ktorrent was one of the first clients to handle magnetlinks. Anyway, not sure what the actual problem is as you say Ktorrent can't handle magnet links, but the most common problem with magnets are that Firefox don't know how to handle them. Rekonq should address magnets straight to Ktorrent.

If you use firefox then have a look at this post. http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index...1252#msg881252

Ktorrent binary is in (root) /usr/bin/

hth

If there is another issue then we need some more information to be of assistance. Where and what doesn't work ?

b.r

Jonas
    Last edited by Jonas; Oct 15, 2012, 07:43 AM.
    ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
    Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
    Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
    Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
    - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
    >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

I have just installed qbittorrent and uninstalled ktorrent.
      I am using Chromium, Kubuntu 12.04.

When I click on a magnet link it gives me an error that the application "Transmission" does not exists. That is true, I tried it and uninstalled it yesterday. The question is how to change the association of magnet links to open qbittorrent?

Comment

Originally posted by barakuda28 View Post
        I have just installed qbittorrent and uninstalled ktorrent.
        I am using Chromium, Kubuntu 12.04.

When I click on a magnet link it gives me an error that the application "Transmission" does not exists. That is true, I tried it and uninstalled it yesterday. The question is how to change the association of magnet links to open qbittorrent?
        I haven't used Chrome(ium) for several years but I suppose there should be a setting (in FF; Settings > Program) for file association. Find it to "ask which application use" or if possible to Qbittorrent.

The binary to associate the magnet to is located in /usr/bin > qbittorrent

hth

b.r

Jonas
        ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
        Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
        Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
        Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
        - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
        >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Right, what Jonas said. In your browser, you need to manually set up the file associations to point to your torrent program. I dont know how to do it in Chrome, but in FF and Opera its straight forward and only takes a second.

Comment

Chromium and Chrome use 'xdg-open' to handle file types. You should just have to re-associate the torrent file in Dolphin and Chrome should follow suit. Sometimes Dolphin (or a backgroud process?) doesn't update the mime-type right away. If after a minute or two it still doesn't work, log out and back in again.
            Computers don't make mistakes. They only execute them.

Comment

I am using Chromium and Ktorrent and magnet torrents ARE picked up by Ktorrent it just needs two or three double clicks and a couple of minutes before you see the torrent in the download pane.

Then you need to stop the processes related to the magnet in the notification applet on the lower right side of the panel.

Ktorrent works very well.

Michel

Comment

As mentioned KTorrent does handel magnet links. But the way magnet links work is they need to download the torrent file/info before they get added to the torrent lists. There is a panel at the bottom that shows the current progress of magnet link downloads.

Comment

deluge is best if u want a client like utorrent for windows
                  its 99% the same design etc

Comment

I am using a version of Chromium and personally I noticed when I copy the url of the magnetic link Ktorrent has it when you click "Open URL". I think a lot is browser dependent and how the browser deals with the issue, more so than Ktorrent or any other bit torrent client. I am currently running SRWare Iron with Ktorrent without issues.

Comment

Working...
                    X