Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu stinks at fetching files w/Konquorer etc..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu stinks at fetching files w/Konquorer etc..

The only reason I can think of, is because the files on my external HD are on my Windows partition, which I specifically made FAT32 so it could be shared with Ubuntu.

I have one directory called pics, and within that dir, are 3 separate folders with 4 gigs worth of pics each.
    The facts are, that when trying to view any of those folders within Konquorer, it takes a year and a day to even get to %40. At that point, I can hardly do anything else with Kubuntu, because of the resources that it's taking up.

When in Windows, I see immediate external HD activity (LED's) and the pics are retrieved almost instantly. It can take a bit for a pic to load in the viewer, but it doesn't lock up windows like Konquorer does in Kubuntu.

I've also tried the other file viewer application, but that was just as bad. Is this problem specific to FAT 32 partitions, or is it just in the way memory is handled for such applications ? Whatever the case, I can't work like this, so if it can't be fixed, I'm not sure of my future with Ubuntu in general. Perhaps the Gnome desktop apps are better at handling these tasks ?

Doug

Re: Kubuntu stinks at fetching files w/Konquorer etc..

Reading from a vfat partition should be no slower than reading from an ext3 or rfs partition. The difference is in the way Konq and windoze explorer work. If you break up your folders into smaller sub-folders, konqueror will load the indices faster, then you'll be surprised how fast the individual images load compared to windoze. I use a separate folder for every 36 exposure roll of film (Yes, I use film and professional development and scanning.) After gimping, most folders have roughly 50 images as only a few pix per roll are worth saving. Konq loads 1500x1000 pixel images (full size) faster than I can remove my finger from the mouse button.

Comment

Personally, if I was after some assistance, I wouldn't start my post with Kubuntu stinks..........

I use digikam to download and sort my digital photos. Works a treat for me. Perhaps you could try it and see if it works for you.

I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
        The difference is in the way Konq and windoze explorer work. If you break up your folders into smaller sub-folders, konqueror will load the indices faster, then you'll be surprised how fast the individual images load compared to windoze. I use a separate folder for every 36 exposure roll of film (Yes, I use film and professional development and scanning.)
        That's not really an option, as the folders I'm talking about (which load in Win Explorer just fine) contain a couple thousand photos. I can't just start making a few hundred new folders for this purpose, seems very unreasonable IMO. I have found though, that browsing them in Gwenview works a lot better. Loads a lot faster, and doesn't take up teh resources that Konquorer does, so I'm able to actually do work in the background while all of the files are being cached.

Personally, if I was after some assistance, I wouldn't start my post with Kubuntu stinks..........

I use digikam to download and sort my digital photos. Works a treat for me. Perhaps you could try it and see if it works for you.

I didn't say that KUBUNTU stinks. I said that it stinks with Konquorer, at retrieving things. Kubuntu in general is just great. Anyway, I'll try digikam, but I've been experiencing some serious mounting issues all around now.

Now my external HD won't unmount when I click safely remove. And as for the digicam, I haven't tried hooking it up again yet.

Comment

Working...
        X