This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple Text Editor

Hello, I was hoping that some kind soul could recommend a simple text editor for kde other than KATE. With thanks in advance.

Leafpad, available in the standard repositories.
    Description-en:
    GTK+ based simple text editor Leafpad is a simple GTK+ based text editor, the user interface is
    similar to Notepad. It aims to be lighter than GEdit and KWrite,
    and to be as useful as them.
    Homepage: http://tarot.freeshell.org/leafpad/

Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Many thanks, Snowhog for your quick reply. I have come across leafpad before, in lubuntu I think, but had forgotten about it. Thanks for reminding me. Part of the reason for me asking was to find a simpler tool than kate but also because kate was giving me trouble with a file - the message was something like the lines had too many characters so had been wrapped and the file was now read-only. I could not change the permissions either. So thankyou again - I can now edit the file using leafpad.

Comment

kwrite

Comment

Plus one for kwrite. Very simple and its KDE so you wont have to bring in all the GTK libraries.

Comment

Leafpad is extremely light. This is all it brings in on installing:
            The following NEW packages will be installed:
            leafpad
            0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Comment

Originally posted by end-user View Post
              kate was giving me trouble with a file - the message was something like the lines had too many characters so had been wrapped and the file was now read-only
              Change Kate's line length limit to zero, then this problem goes away:

See KDE bug 292703 for more info.

Comment

That's nice to know.

Comment

Change Kate's line length limit to zero
                  +1 Thanks
                  Linux User #454271

Comment

ok, many thanks to everyone for their replies. I went with leafpad because as Snowhog said it came with the fewest dependencies - kwrite had many many. It does the trick as regards being able to edit and then save the original file too. However, my issue with kate was not completely as described in the bug above (292703) - thanks for the info, SteveRiley. That bug seems to be about long lines being automatically wrapped and then the user being unaware that certain settings can be configured so that that is not the case. My issue was that I had copied some info from a webpage and then pasted the comments to a file. I then went to append the file with the web address and was unable to edit it. I pushed reload and received this message: Too Long Lines Wrapped - Kate .....The file /../../..was opened and contained lines longer than the configured Line Length Limit (1,024 characters). Those lines were wrapped and the document is set to read-only mode, as saving will modify its content.
                    I could not change the permissions (even though they said read and write anyway).

Comment

Hm. Interesting...even after setting that to zero, I still see the error message when viewing source from the browser:

However, I can navigate to that file with Dolphin and open it in Kate without throwing the error. Curious...

Comment

How about this for a simple text editor.

http://qt-apps.org/content/show.php/...content=128353

Comment

Working...
                        X