X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first upgrade is a night mare

Hi all,

I have a PC with core i5 and an ubuntu running in dual boot. It was running prefectly when before I try to move to last kubuntu release ... Today the boot is freezing after unmount of network filesystem or V run level config is stopping !!

The boot stop on "stopping System V runlevel compatibility" or on "stopping Mount Network filesystem"

when press power of th system stops well ... performing all stopping tasks !

I perfomed an apt-get upgrade !

launching older version do the same !!!

any idea before I reset everything and loose everything i hadn't commit ? just one week work ...

Fierfeu
    Last edited by fierfeu; Oct 02, 2012, 04:29 AM.

What version of Kubuntu do you use? What is new and older versions?
    Do you use WUBI?
    Do you have network mount described in /etc/fstab?

Comment

I update from 11.10 (if i well remember _ linux kernel end number is .25) to 12.04 (linux kernel end number is .35)
      i use pat-get upgrade to do that ...
      no network mount in etc/fstab
      Last edited by fierfeu; Oct 02, 2012, 06:39 AM.

Comment

first ...."sudo apt-get upgrade" dose NOT take you from 11.10 to 12.04 ,,,,,it only upgrades packages that have a upgrade available without changing the package version .
        you have some other problem if "sudo apt-get upgrade" is all you did.

if you can log back in and/or get to a terminal run
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
        this also will NOT take you up a Kubuntu version (11.10 to 12.04) BUT will upgrade all packages to the highest version available as per the repo's you have active.

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

thank you !!

unfortunately I re-install all as i did what you suggest and still not working (and I change the disk partition too) many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by fierfeu View Post
            thank you !!

unfortunately I re-install all as i did what you suggest and still not working (and I change the disk partition too) many thanks
            I'd be tempted to do a fresh install when upgrading to the latest version. There have been times when users have upgraded using the dist-upgrade method that conflicts have occurred causing some serious problems like what you are experiencing. However you upgrade make sure that you back up (copy) all your files you want to keep first.

Comment

Originally posted by fierfeu View Post
              thank you !!

Some Linux users set up a separate partition for the /home mount point. You can retain much of your work even with a complete reinstall of the OS if you do that.

Comment

The last thing I want to do is confuse the OP, but I have a multi-drive system, what MatchpointOK said make perfect sense to me. The last time --about over a year ago-- I upgraded to Natty using the built in option and lost a lot of data. Since then I have stuck with my Maverick 10.10 the only way I plan to upgrade again to 12.10 or whatever will be a complete stable ISO download burned to CD. Always a better safe than sorry.

Comment

Working...
                X