X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Syncing with a net folder

Hello guys.

First of all. I am totally new. I have installed kubuntu in a pc to use a media device to run all music and I new some software, easy to install, to sync and external folder in my net to that inside my kubuntu from where I run Amarok.

I can't find any sync of backup soft to do that.

Help me, please.

Thanks.

So you have a kubuntu computer that you want to sync to? What do want to sync from? Another linux based os? or something else?

Comment

I want to compare stored files in a NAS with files stored in a HDD in a Kubuntu machine and update changes in both directions. I can access to NAS folders through Samba Services from my linux but I can't find any soft to sync them.

Thanks.

Comment

If you mount the share locally you can use unison as a two way sync.

Unison is in the repos so you can install it with any package manager tool.

Comment

Ok. Any clue about how to mount it?

Sorry for my ignorance

Comment

How you mount something will depend on how you're going to use it.

If your intent is to use the NAS as a file server that you access regularly, I suggest you create an entry in /etc/fstab so it's always ready and mounts to the same location every time. You need not have it mounted at boot time if you don't want it to and you can give the regular users the power to mount and un-mount it without using sudo. The final issue with samba is username/password.

I rarely use samba so some else will have to comment, but basically your entry will look like:

//servername/sharename /mountpoint cifs user,noauto,UID=1000,GID=1000,username=sambauser,p assword=sambapass

Meanings of the above:

//servername/sharename --> the hostname of your NAS and the sharename. You can use the IP also.
            /mountpoint --> someplace you create to mount the NAS to. Usually /mnt/something or /media/NAS
            cifs --> the filesystem type
            user --> allows regular user to mount/unmount
            noauto --> doesn't mount at boot, but will when you click on it in dolphin or type "mount /media/NAS" in a terminal.
            UID=1000,GID=1000 --> sets the user and group ID's to yours.
            username=sambauser --> your NAS user log in (if needed)
            password=sambapass --> your NAS password (if needed)

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
            X