X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu fonts

Hi everybody.

I'm new here but I come from ubuntu.

I would like to change back to kde (many years ago I used to use kde on suse and debian) but I find some issues, and one of them is, how can I set the same font for the gtk application running on kde? i went to the gkt appearance and I tried with both ways, using the kde font and setting a specific font but it doesn't work and changing the font for kde only changes the font in kde applications. Any ideas?

I spent many hours looking for a solution but unfortunately I didn't find any solution

Thank you very much.

Welcome to KFN. I don't have many (if any) GTK apps installed, so I can't offer useful advise, however, there are many members here who do. So, be just a bit patient, as you will get answers/suggestions to your question. KFN is an active forum with a broad range of expertise and experience.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      Welcome to KFN. I don't have many (if any) GTK apps installed, so I can't offer useful advise, however, there are many members here who do. So, be just a bit patient, as you will get answers/suggestions to your question. KFN is an active forum with a broad range of expertise and experience.
      Thank you very much Snowhog. I'll take your advise, i'll be patient.

Comment

You can try the Kd control panel (Systemsettings) first.
        Appearance of applications > Gtk styles and fonts

There, you can either choose "Use my Kde font in Gtk applications", or you can choose "Use another font" and specify a font. You'll probably need to log out and log in again (or reboot) to apply the changes.

In case that didn't work for whatever reason, you can install gtk-chtheme using Synaptic, or from a terminal:
        sudo apt-get install gtk-chtheme

It will enable you to choose a font for Gtk apps. Click on "Font" at the bottom and pick a font, then click on "Apply". This may also require a log out and log in or reboot to apply the settings.

Please note that the above settings only work for Gtk2 applications, not for Gtk3 ones. The soon-to-be-released Quantal Quetzal brings a new Gtk plugin called "Gtk Configuration" in "Appearance of applications", which enables you to set the font for Gtk2 and Gtk3. I don't know of any possibility to set the font for Gtk3 apps in Precise or earlier versions, however.
        Kubuntu Raring Ringtail x64 w/ Kde 4.10.5

Multimedia packages for Kubuntu x64 (x264 10bit, mplayer2, Aegisub etc.)
        http://erokawaii.org/?page_id=5181

My stuff on kde-look.org
        http://kde-look.org/usermanager/sear...ction=contents

Comment

Originally posted by Shimapan View Post
          You can try the Kd control panel (Systemsettings) first.
          Appearance of applications > Gtk styles and fonts

There, you can either choose "Use my Kde font in Gtk applications", or you can choose "Use another font" and specify a font. You'll probably need to log out and log in again (or reboot) to apply the changes.
          I tried that, but it didn't work

In case that didn't work for whatever reason, you can install gtk-chtheme using Synaptic, or from a terminal:
          sudo apt-get install gtk-chtheme
          Thanks, I'll try that.

It will enable you to choose a font for Gtk apps. Click on "Font" at the bottom and pick a font, then click on "Apply". This may also require a log out and log in or reboot to apply the settings.

Please note that the above settings only work for Gtk2 applications, not for Gtk3 ones. The soon-to-be-released Quantal Quetzal brings a new Gtk plugin called "Gtk Configuration" in "Appearance of applications", which enables you to set the font for Gtk2 and Gtk3. I don't know of any possibility to set the font for Gtk3 apps in Precise or earlier versions, however.
          Ok, I understand. I only need gkt2 for the time been.

Comment

Well, It works with gtk applications such as pidgin but not synaptic.
            Last edited by bunsonis; Sep 24, 2012, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bunsonis View Post
              No problem. Open Synaptic and then the Synaptic configuration dialog. On the second tab, you can set the fonts for Synaptic and for the Synaptic terminal.

My stuff on kde-look.org

Comment

umm... it seems that the problem is synaptic because doing what you told me, the font doesn't change but in deluge and in pidgin fonts are ok

I have tried that on ubuntu 11.04 with gnome 2 and it works fine.
                Last edited by bunsonis; Sep 24, 2012, 04:41 PM.

Comment

It could be that Synaptic is an app that needs sudo (root) so it has its themes in a different location to non-root apps.

Comment

Originally posted by sealbhach View Post
                    It could be that Synaptic is an app that needs sudo (root) so it has its themes in a different location to non-root apps.
                    That's what I was thinking, too. In KRunner, execute kdesu systemsettings. This opens the Systems Settings window as root. Then modify the Gtk theme. Exit the settings window, and check whether Synaptic now has the correct appearance.

Comment

I'm not sure this is helpful, but I've been pleasantly surprised. I'm a fan of QtCurve, lets you control lots of stuff, and comes with a widget style for Gtk which gives my gtk apps (firefox, vim) a lot of the same look, including the menu font, as K apps. Chuffed, I am. In the past I've resorted to tweaking gtk engine files, but not necessary with the latest QtCurve; "Unified window decoration for KDE and GTK+". Search for qtcurve in your package manager, or
                      Code:
                      sudo apt-get install qtcurve

Regards, John
                      Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                        That's what I was thinking, too. In KRunner, execute kdesu systemsettings. This opens the Systems Settings window as root. Then modify the Gtk theme. Exit the settings window, and check whether Synaptic now has the correct appearance.
                        In case that doesn't work with Synaptic, do the same with gtk-chtheme:
                        kdesu gtk-chtheme

My stuff on kde-look.org

Comment

Thank you to all of you.

With kdesu systemsettings nothing happens to synaptic, qtcurve the same but with kdesu gtk-chtheme I can change the font but all the fonts, the menus, submenus and buttons remains without changes.
                          Last edited by bunsonis; Sep 25, 2012, 02:24 PM. Reason: important words in bold

Comment

Originally posted by bunsonis View Post
                            synaptic is more difficult. first try
                            kdesudo systemsettings
                            in the terminal. do your settings exactly the same as your regular settings. I do this for all settings not just fonts. open synaptic and click settings preferences/ columns and fonts. under fonts make sure both boxes are unticked.

There is a bug when you use an application with root privledges that will reset all your default settings. you can fix that by
                            sudo kate /usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde4-profile/default/share/config/kdeglobals
                            in the terminal and setting them and saving that file. I recommend making a backup before you change files.

Log out and back in and check synaptic. If it's not changed I noticed it would not work with the default font. I installed microsoft core fonts with synaptic. After that I changed my fonts to verdana and it worked.

The best settings under system settings fonts are use anti-aliesing then configure, make sure the top box is unchecked (really important that will totally screw up your fonts) then check mark sub pixel rendering rgb and use slight hinting style.

here is a link for how synaptic looks on my desktop
                            http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ps961f679c.png

here is a copy of my kdeglobals set up for an example. I have firefox as default browser because everytime I use the login manager my default settings would change.

[PreviewSettings]
                            UseFileThumbnails=true

[Toolbar style]
                            ToolButtonStyle=TextBesideIcon

[Emoticons]
                            emoticonsTheme=Oxygen

[Notification Messages]
                            :confirmNewSession=false

[General]
                            BrowserApplication[$e]=!firefox
                            XftHintStyle=hintslight
                            font=Verdana,6,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
                            menuFont=Verdana,6,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
                            desktopFont=Verdana,6,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
                            toolBarFont=Verdana,6,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
                            smallestReadableFont=Verdana,6,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
                            taskbarFont=Verdana,6,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0

[WM]
                            activeFont=Verdana,6,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
                            Last edited by pauly; Sep 26, 2012, 06:41 PM.

Comment

The only thing that works is changing that file. Thanks!!

I have to say that after I changed the file, using kdesudo systemsettings works fine to change again to other font.
                              Last edited by bunsonis; Sep 28, 2012, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X