X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audio system with weird behaviour

Hello there,

Since I've updated my system I have some weird behaviour with the sound output... When I start the computer everything works fine... I have all the control over the sound system... However after a few seconds the sound system icon on the tray changes to a black page and I have no control over the sound system .... (attachment showing the icon)

Is there any way to get this working properly?
    Attached Files

I have the same problem occasionally. When ever it happens I simply kill kmix and restart it.
    Code:
    killall kmix
    Code:
    kmix

Comment

YAP it fixes the problem =)

Do you know why this fails in a fresh system start?

Comment

Have no idea. Whenever it happens to me, its because I turn on my second monitor. Do you have dual monitors?

Comment

No... I cant find what does it malfunction =(

Comment

Are there any clues in the logs?
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
              Whenever it happens to me, its because I turn on my second monitor.
              My mouse quits working every time my wife revvs up the microwave. Weird!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                My mouse quits working every time my wife revvs up the microwave. Weird!
                Wireless mouse?

If so, time to replace that microwave oven; it may be leaking microwaves... and at a strong enough level that the RF interference is sufficient to saturate the mouse's wireless receiver.

As you may well know, a microwave oven's outer casing (and the wire mesh in the door glass) forms a Faraday cage which keeps the RF from getting out, but over time the door seals can break down leading to leakage.
                sigpic
                "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
                -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Um... I was kidding

Comment

Um... I was kidding
                    A part of me did wonder if you were being entirely serious there... my reply was just in case you were.

It can be really hard to spot tongue-in-cheek-ness on the interwebs! Kinda reminds me of Poe's Law, hehe.
                    sigpic
                    "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
                    -- Douglas Adams

Comment

I was trying to think of something similarly goofy to whatthefunk's odd problem, where powering up his second monitor makes KMix go all flaky. I didn't suspect that my made-up scenario would have anything to do with potential reality!

Comment

Actually sound and pulseaudio is the worst bit in Kubuntu imho. I have trouble plugging in my TV with hdmi and there's always a couple of minutes of "mystery-tinkering" to get sound output. Ubuntu and Mint and other distros I've tried don't have this problem (it's a phonon issue and not Kmix though). It's all getting better with each release but unfortunate slowly.

I wouldn't be surpised if that monitor have onboard speakers(?) which could interfere (depending on connection interface )

Pulseaudio/phonon/Kubuntu sound set up is today maybe the most problematic and why I wouldn't recommend Kubuntu to a "common-user" or anyone who wouldn't want to tinker and solve these kind of issues.

Sorry for not coming up with a helpful solution, but sound setup on Kubuntu puzzles me still.

b.r

Jonas
                        ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
                        Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
                        Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
                        Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
                        - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
                        >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas View Post
                          Actually sound and pulseaudio is the worst bit in Kubuntu imho. I have trouble plugging in my TV with hdmi and there's always a couple of minutes of "mystery-tinkering" to get sound output. Ubuntu and Mint and other distros I've tried don't have this problem (it's a phonon issue and not Kmix though). It's all getting better with each release but unfortunate slowly.
                          I have the same setup and outside of the kmix volume indicator icon turning into a file icon occasionally, it works brilliantly. What Phonon backend are you using?

Comment

Um... I was kidding
                            Lucky for you. RF leakages that great would be strong enough to damage your eyes.

(But, I suspect, you were probably already aware of what HalationEffect wrote, which was spot on!)
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                              Lucky for you. RF leakages that great would be strong enough to damage your eyes.

(But, I suspect, you were probably already aware of what HalationEffect wrote, which was spot on!)
                              Yeah, I had to break my habit of holding my eyes against the microwave door. It wasn't easy, but I succeeded!

Comment

Working...
                              X