X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problem booting from burned ISO disk

Hello,
    as i'm very familiar with unix, i thought i would take an old p.o.s. machine and try kubuntu and mess around with it.

so i downloaded the ISO file and burned it to a disk. i put it in the new machine (a PII 400 MHz, 196 mb of ram, 15gb hdd) and it tries to boot from cd-rom and says 'cannot load DOS! any key to retry'.

hitting a key just takes it back through POST and i end up at the same place.

any ideas as to what i'm doing wrong?

Re: problem booting from burned ISO disk

nevermind...i burned the ISO improperly.

Comment

A touch short on RAM. "By default (K)Ubuntu requires 256 megabytes of RAM, and, when installed to the hard disk, needs three gigabytes of hard-disk space. Can it be increased? I have found ebay a useful source of used RAM.
      "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
      "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

yeah, i know the ram is horrible, and i'll see about getting another cheap stick. don't want to spend much money on this since obviously the computer is a piece of junk. its one my job was going to throw out.

so here's where i stand now...
        i loaded the live portion and clicked the install icon and it got all the way through to detecting hardware and it froze. i had to restart and now i get errors when booting from the cd. it will not allow me to boot from the hard drive yet. it just sits there.

the errors are:

'The process for the file protocol died unexpectantly'

and after clicking ok on that one..

''The process for the media protocol died unexpectantly'

the install icons are now gone from the desktop.

course of action anyone?

thanks

Comment

i'm trying a reinstall now.
          hopefully it won't freeze up on 'detecting hardware' again

Comment

At the start of the boot process, if you have time to do so, enter "noapic, nolapic, acpi=off". Those "cheat codes" may help.

Comment

Working...
            X