This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GUI does not work when I open Gparted live

Kubuntu 12.04 64 bit. When I boot to the live CD of Gpaarted, the GUI does not appear. In its place are some horizontal lines that do not contain info. I have attempted the install several times and have downloaded a fresh live CD. Each has the same result. Additinally, I have attempted chaanging to default settings in the BIOS without success. Also, I have attempted updating the nVidia drivers, again without success. Thanks for any additional ideas.

I'm not clear which live CD you're referring to - the GParted Live CD as described here: GParted -- Live CD/USB/PXE/HD?

Or the Kubuntu Live CD? If you are booting the GParted Live CD it makes no difference what OS or drivers are installed on the hard drive as they are not loaded.

If you have the Kubuntu installation CD (which is also the live CD) can you boot to a GUI from that?
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
      When I boot to the live CD of Gpaarted, the GUI does not appear. In its place are some horizontal lines ....
      Some of the Parted Live CDs, including Parted Magic for sure, show a series of "dot lines" during their boot process, and only bring up the GUI after 15 or 20 seconds. Are you waiting until the live CD is fully booted?

Comment

Hi Don,

Nice to see you. I just booted to Gparted and waited over 2 minutes; it just hangs on that last screen.

Comment

Any chance you could post a photograph of it?

Which version of gparted live do you have? I've just had a look at the latest (gparted-live-0.13.1-2.iso) in a vm, and there are no horizontal lines (of dots or otherwise) at any point.

Do you get the grub menu with gparted options & graphic background? Do you get any boot console messages? Do you get any text-based entry screens - keymap, language, etc?

If we can't help here, you might want to try the gparted forums at http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/index.php - useful and helpful last time I had to go there. This problem cannot be related to the Kubuntu or nvidia drivers you have installed on the hard drive - they don't come into effect for a live cd.

Comment

My reply is between the paragraphs.

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
            Any chance you could post a photograph of it?

<I tried Screen Print, but it is in the boot sequence and I don't know how to get a Print in during boot-up.>

Which version of gparted live do you have? I've just had a look at the latest (gparted-live-0.13.1-2.iso) in a vm, and there are no horizontal lines (of dots or otherwise) at any point.

<That is the version I used.>

Do you get the grub menu with gparted options & graphic background? Do you get any boot console messages? Do you get any text-based entry screens - keymap, language, etc?

<No message at all. I will try to describe the screen; Not dots but bars of about 1/4" high 1 1/4" wide rising a pixel at a time across the screen, with about 1/4" space between each level of bars for about 2 to 2 1/2" of horizontal rows of up creaping bars. White on Black background. It stays in that screen until I Hard-Shutdown.>

If we can't help here, you might want to try the gparted forums at http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/index.php - useful and helpful last time I had to go there. This problem cannot be related to the Kubuntu or nvidia drivers you have installed on the hard drive - they don't come into effect for a live cd.
            <Thanks for the last comment. What creates the image, if the installed video drivers are not in effect? I tried another Gparted and got the same result. It is very confusing. Thanks!>

Comment

in your first post you say ...." I have attempted the install several times"..... did you try to INSTALL the Gparted live cd ? ......or are you just unable to boot the cd ?

you can not update any drivers running a live cd and should not half to !

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

By photograph I meant ... photograph! with your phone or a camera. I can't visualise these ¼" bars you're talking about.

The whole point of a live cd is that it contains an entire operating system, with its own video drivers and everything, so that you can use it on machines that have nothing installed or have errors. You boot from the cd, you do not install it. And you boot it *before* your installed OS starts to boot, from cold. But if you don't get a grub menu from the gparted cd I don't think you are doing that. (You shouldn't see the grub menu installed on your hard disk and you certainly shouldn't see any boot up and login screens from your Kubuntu.)

Have you completely backed up your entire drive already? I assume you're going to re-partition your drive using gparted - this carries a (small but real) risk of losing all your data. Especially if it's not working smoothly.

Comment

Working...
                X