X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to save graphic settings forever

Hello guyes,

I installed KUbuntu 12.04 today and i found an unconfortable condition: after evere restart, i havo too reconfigure the settings for both Displays on my PC (NVidia-Card). I have read in some german Forums that it is impossible to save These settings between sessions but after One restart, my Computer saved a setting, but One, that i dont want. So i think it have to be possible, but how?

Would be nice if somebody can give me an idea how to save setting between sessions.

Best whisches,
    Sky

Which Display settings are you having trouble with?

Do you mean the screen resolution and refresh rates?

Comment

Try configuring them through
      Code:
      kdesudo nvidia-settings
      and saving the settings to /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Comment

You should not need the sudo for running nvidia-settings and saving to xorg.conf, just use the supplied button "Save to X Configuration File".

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
          You should not need the sudo for running nvidia-settings and saving to xorg.conf, just use the supplied button "Save to X Configuration File".
          +1

It's important that people realize, in order to save the changes simply clicking Apply does not seem to be enough.

You have to click the button "Save as default" which will generate your ~/.kde/share/config/.krandrrc file with the settings you saved. This will 'cause the settings to persist.

Last edited by michealPW; Sep 17, 2012, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Since a few years (K)Ubuntu does no longer use xorg.conf by default.
            But it is certainly possible to install one, like by saving the X-settings from the nVidia settings dialogue.
            Or by making one manually to for example enable the softkeys for screen brightness.

There are a few ways to make resolution changes stick for Intel video, see:
            https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Res...20persistently

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
              Since a few years (K)Ubuntu does no longer use xorg.conf by default.
              But it is certainly possible to install one, like by saving the X-settings from the nVidia settings dialogue.
              Or by making one manually to for example enable the softkeys for screen brightness.

There are a few ways to make resolution changes stick for Intel video, see:
              https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Res...20persistently
              In my humble opinion, I think the issue then is that the "Display and Monitor" KCM (From "System Settings") "Apply" button's handler should also call the handler function for the "Save as default" button.

Maybe that's the real issue? So many people (Searching on google..) seem to hit the same problem. I bet a lot of us are just not realizing that "Apply" isn't really applying the settings as we think it might/should be.

Comment

Hello Guys, thank you very much for that much answers. I solved by saving changes in xorg.conf with sudo. Know it works well. But from time to time, I have to reinstall the graphic driver, mostly after doing some updates by canonical. First, is that normal? Second, do I need to do these updates?

All the best!

Comment

The problem was a dual screen that doesn't worked until I saved setting in xorg.conf with sudo , but with different settings for different workspace.

Comment

Good to hear you found a solution to your problem.
                    I must have been lucky that I can simply use the supplied GUI to set my two monitors.

Comment

One point I didn't see fully discussed here is with the current default - xorg.conf is not created at install. The preference is to allow xorg auto-detect your screen setup sort of on-the-fly and allow you to adjust it via xrandr. This method (when it works) has the advantage of automatically handling a variable monitor situation - like docking a laptop. Unfortunately for various reasons, like monitors with a faulty EDID for example, it doesn't well work all the time.

The alternative methods of saving your screen setup are many (as is the way with linux). If you have an nvidia GPU, you get nvidia-settings which allows you to save a user specific setup, like michaelPW pointed out. nvidia-settings can be used to create and save the old standard /etc/X11/xorg.conf file if you launch it with root privileges (from the command line: kdesudo nvidia-settings). You can also use X -configure or simply save your xrandr settings to /etc/Xsession or rc.local or several other places. There are several other ways to get the desired results, but the point is: When using linux, there's always more than one way to skin-the-cat. Rarely is there no solution at all and often what works well for one setup does not for another.

Personally, I prefer a solid and well configured xorg.conf for all my desktops since they don't have monitor changes. This has the advantage of allowing adding several tweaks to my video config that fine tunes and speeds things up and takes advantage of the high-end features my nvidia cards have. All my current laptops work well without the xorg.conf so I leave them as is.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                      X