This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CD player won't load CDs

Basically the title tells the problem. In a program like k3b, it shows the CD drive but in that program nor in any other program, if I insert a CD, it doesn't load it. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

What type of CD? Blank. Formatted. Music. Data. Brand of CD?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It won't load any CDs at all.

Comment

Let's see what groups your user belongs to. Open a console and type:
        Code:
        groups
        Do you see cdrom as one of the groups?
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes, I do see cdrom.

Comment

Did the CD play before making any changes to Kubuntu (install new apps or update packages)?
            have you installed Kubuntu-restricted-extras?
            Can you install VLC? If so, and it plays the CD's then at least you'll know its a library issue with the other apps.

Comment

Actually it hasn't worked for quite some time, a year maybe, but I just realized that the CD does show up in K3b which means that the computer does see the CD drive. It just won't load a CD. That's why I thought that someone might be able to offer a solution.

Comment

I had a similar problem with using Fedora 16. After an update I could no longer play a CD or DVD in two of the apps (KsCD and Dragon Player). I asked for help on the Fedora forums and got zero responce about it. I installed VLC and found that it did play both CD's and DVD's. My conclusion was that it was a fault with the multimedia libraries that KDE uses. Still never discovered though the exact problem and resolve it except using another app.

Comment

Similar issues here; if I've already loaded something on a r/w disk, I've never been able to erase and reuse the disk. In kb3, it registers as no disk in drive.
                  Last edited by capt-zero; Sep 12, 2012, 09:54 AM. Reason: speeling

Comment

Working...
                  X