This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

synaptic not opening

It does open in the terminal with no error messages but it will not open without the terminal.

will check back in the morning.

Comment

That was interesting. It would not open from the start menu. I had it placed in favorites. I put it there early in the set up process. I decided to remove it from favorites and then put it back. It now opens.

Comment

Synaptic is kind of out-of-date and not a KDE program. Have you tried Muon yet?

Please Read Me

Comment

Muon is too busy. I can't see what I am trying to install. Synaptic works great and looks great if you know how to set it up.

Comment

I agree, I installed 12.10 the other day and was expecting a number of changes to Muon, but it is still as clunky as ever. I've enjoyed Synaptic and use it for almost all my installs. I don't even know why they waste space on the Muon updater, it hangs up frequently and is always slower than a CLI update/upgrade. Not to mention, there is no option (that I know) for dist-upgrade in Muon.
            Last edited by capt-zero; Sep 12, 2012, 06:34 PM. Reason: speeling

Comment

Originally posted by capt-zero View Post
              Not to mention, there is no option (that I know) for dist-upgrade in Muon.
              So I just ran a parallel trial.

In Muon Package Manager, I clicked Check for Updates in the toolbar and waited while Muon downloaded the latest list of updates. Then I clicked Full Upgrade and saw a collection of upgradable packages.

Then I dropped to a command line and ran sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. Saw the exact same list of packages.

If you try the same experiment, do you have different results?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                So I just ran a parallel trial.

In Muon Package Manager, I clicked Check for Updates in the toolbar and waited while Muon downloaded the latest list of updates. Then I clicked Full Upgrade and saw a collection of upgradable packages.

Then I dropped to a command line and ran sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. Saw the exact same list of packages.

If you try the same experiment, do you have different results?
                nope exact same results @hear ......Muon and the CLI same list
                but I must confess it's the first time I have used Muon in a wile ,,,,,,usually just do the sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                every other day or so (I have the update notifier turned off )
                VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I have to admit, I've never done a comparison test like that. I had never seen an option in Muon to do a dist-upgrade before. I haven't used it much, just like vinny, I always use the CLI with dist-upgrade. I will say that Muon does sometimes hang up during an operation, especially large ones. I have to go back, cancel it out, then use the CLI. It did this right after this last install, just two days ago. It's always possible that I'm just a luddite at heart and like to do things the old fashioned way.

Comment

My 2c on this... I have a memory-constrained system, (0.85 GiB indicated in system monitor), and Muon thumps it really hard. Maybe it's written in python... or maybe dpkg is. When muon is running, I have to avoid using firefox.
                    Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                    X