This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu overwriting windows mbr

I recently tried to install Kubuntu 12..04 alongside windows7 ultimate x64 only to have the windows mbr wiped out which didnt allow me to access the windows installation on boot up how can i prevent this from happening in the future when i want to try installing kubuntu again?

Choose Advanced when presented with where to install Grub and select the root partition where Kubuntu was installed to.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

That seems odd to me. The default process for installing Kubuntu alongside Windows does overwrite the windows MBR and replace it with GRUB2, it's true, but the GRUB2 boot menu should include a boot to windows option - and you can configure it to show the menu for some number of seconds and boot either OS by default if no selection is made.

It's possible grub was set up not to show the menu at boot time. If this is so, pressing and holding shift as soon as the firmware screen appears should force the grub menu to be displayed.
      I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Working...
      X