Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange font problem; missing pixels, lines, choppy.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, definitely uncheck Use VSync in that case. I guess it should at least go back to how it was then (maybe restart required?)

I wonder what your settings are for the fonts in the System Settings, Application Appearance? Is "Use anti-aliasing" Enabled? Maybe try some different settings there and see if it makes any difference.
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

in System Settings > Desktop Effects > Advanced go back to your defaults.

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I did click it back off and restarted, it was still slow when I made the last post so I shut it down. I'm on a different PC posting now, will start it back up again to see what happens.

Comment

Still slow when I booted back up, used default button + apply, still slow, shut down and rebooted again, it's still slow

Comment

I restarted into WinXP (separate harddisk) and there was no slugglishness, so it's not the hardware. Back to Kubuntu it is still horribly slow, when I mouse over stuff the effects are normal but opening anything takes forever. I hope I don't have to back up and reformat

Comment

Well, that's one of the advantages of having a dual boot system that you can compare hardware performance in the other OS :-)

I'm not sure what to try in Kubuntu. There must be some setting that is messed up to cause that sluggishness. Since this is a recent Kubuntu install I wonder if just reinstalling the OS might help. But backup anything that is important first of course.

I'll leave it to the more knowledgeable to come up with any more ideas.
              Last edited by Rod J; Sep 03, 2012, 07:54 PM.
              Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
              Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

System Settings > Desktop Effects > All Effects and uncheck Blur (if it's checked). For some GPUs, this effect has a serious performance impact.
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
                  Well, that's one of the advantages of having a dual boot system that you can compare hardware performance in the other OS :-)

I'm not sure what to try in Kubuntu. There must be some setting that is messed up to cause that sluggishness. Since this is a recent Kubuntu install I wonder if just reinstalling the OS might help. But backup anything that is important first of course.

I'll leave it to the more knowledgeable to come up with any more ideas.
                  I just unchecked "Use OpenGl 2 Shaders" and the speed came back even though it was checked before. Very strange.

Thanks for offering help

Font problem still present.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                    System Settings > Desktop Effects > All Effects and uncheck Blur (if it's checked). For some GPUs, this effect has a serious performance impact.
                    yes blur is a killer on some GPU's ......on a side note after checking with blur disabled try turning off all effects and see if it's still slow (if it is their may be a different reason for the slowness) you can also run "top" in a konsole and see if something is using a lot of the CPU (and making things slow)

VINNY
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Well the normal speed did come back but I unchecked blur anyway and you guys are right, it really sped things up further, I'll leave that off for sure.

Hopefully someone has seen this font problem before, tried posting it on the Ubuntu forums but nobody replied.

Comment

You can also check System Settings > Application Appearance > Fonts and set Use anti-aliasing: to Enabled and then click the Configure... button and check Use sub-pixel rendering: and select RGB. These are my settings.
                        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                          You can also check System Settings > Application Appearance > Fonts and set Use anti-aliasing: to Enabled and then click the Configure... button and check Use sub-pixel rendering: and select RGB. These are my settings.
                          Those are my settings as well, I tried earlier today to change it up, but nothing worked.

Comment

Does the problem occur in pure Qt apps - like rekonq?

Does it show in "Font Installer"?
                            I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
                              Does the problem occur in pure Qt apps - like rekonq?

Does it show in "Font Installer"?
                              I tried several different web pages in rekonq and didn't see any lines, though the program crashed everytime I used it. I cannot find the font installer. But the font management thing where you view all the system fonts doesn't appear to have the problem.

Here's another example of the text:

http://s18.postimage.org/r961qg43d/Example2.png
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Cornova; Sep 04, 2012, 06:54 AM. Reason: Added example

Comment

I'd suggest there is a font cache somewhere that needs to be deleted so it will get rebuilt ... but I wouldn't know which directory it would be
                                I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Working...
                                X