This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bootloader question

I am trying to install Kubuntu over Mandriva on a Windows dual system. The installation went OK but when I boot the machne no menu comes up for me to choose Windows or Kubuntu. Instead a notice comes up that says "input not supported". If I leave it float around Kubuntu will finally boot but I can't get to Windows which leads me to the bootloader question.

I did a manual format on the partitions and and that went OK. Down at the bottom of that screen comes the bootloader question.

Initially the bootloader is set at:

bootlaoder /dev/sda

but it also offered the following choices:

/dev/sda1 -- t
    /dev/sda2 -- fat32
    /dev/sda5 -- ext3 Kubuntu
    /dev/sda7 -- ext3 Home

When I went ahead with the instal I left the Bootloader on /dev/sda and I am hoping this is the cause of the above problem.

Any help would be appreciated, Thank you.

having the bootloader on /dev/sda is what you want ,,,,, I think you sead in your other thread that you chose auto login during the install right ?
    I think this will bypass the grub boot screen as well .

when you start the box keep taping the shift key this should cause the boot screen to appear then see if windows is one of the choices !!!

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by elder73 View Post
      I am trying to install Kubuntu over Mandriva on a Windows dual system. The installation went OK but when I boot the machne no menu comes up for me to choose Windows or Kubuntu. Instead a notice comes up that says "input not supported". If I leave it float around Kubuntu will finally boot but I can't get to Windows which leads me to the bootloader question.

I did a manual format on the partitions and and that went OK. Down at the bottom of that screen comes the bootloader question.

Initially the bootloader is set at:

bootlaoder /dev/sda

but it also offered the following choices:

/dev/sda1 -- t
      /dev/sda2 -- fat32
      /dev/sda5 -- ext3 Kubuntu
      /dev/sda7 -- ext3 Home

When I went ahead with the instal I left the Bootloader on /dev/sda and I am hoping this is the cause of the above problem.

Any help would be appreciated, Thank you.
      Thank you Vinny, I re-installed (for about the 5th time today) and opted a login requiring my user name and password. The result was the same "input not supported". When It got around to loading Kubuntu, it asked me for my user name and password. I tried tapping the shift key but nothing happened.

I am still not getting to the bootscreen where I can choose Windows or Kubuntu. Windows is there because I can see it in the file system.

Hope springs eternal they say.....

Comment

Originally posted by elder73 View Post
        When It got around to loading Kubuntu, it asked me for my user name and password. I tried tapping the shift key but nothing happened.
        did you use the shift key when you first turned on the box ,,,,,as in right then,,,,,,,or wait till you got to the login screen?

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Is the bootloader GRUB2? Or something else?

Installing it on /dev/sda is right.

You may have it set not to show the grub menu ... but this "input not supported" message is worrying. It's as though it's trying to display the menu and failing.

This might be due to incorrect grub options. Once booted into Kubuntu you could install the grub-customizer package - and launch it via Konsole using
          Code:
          kdesudo grub-customizer
          Then go to Preferences > Appearance and see if a custom graphics mode is set.
          You can also ensure that the menu is set to display (not hidden) and check the timeout.
          Then Save.
          I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

See also 12.04 clean install now only get "input not supported" msg
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

This error usually means your video resolution is not supported by grub.

Tell us what exactly you see and what happens when you start up.

I assume you get the "Input not supported" message and in about 10 seconds, the computer starts booting (watch the drive activity light).

If this is the case, try this:

Open a terminal (konsole) and type

kdesudo kate /etc/default/grub

Then look for the line

#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

and change it to

GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768

or whatever resolution your monitor is and save and exit kate. Then, in the terminal type:

sudo update-grub

and when that's done, type:

sudo reboot

You should see your boot menu this time.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                This error usually means your video resolution is not supported by grub.

Tell us what exactly you see and what happens when you start up.

I assume you get the "Input not supported" message and in about 10 seconds, the computer starts booting (watch the drive activity light).

If this is the case, try this:

Open a terminal (konsole) and type

kdesudo kate /etc/default/grub

Then look for the line

#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

and change it to

GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768

or whatever resolution your monitor is and save and exit kate. Then, in the terminal type:

sudo update-grub

and when that's done, type:

sudo reboot

You should see your boot menu this time.
                Thank you your reply above has solved the problem. Now I am transferring everything off Windows on to Kubuntu that is important and when I get that done, I will be looking how I can then get rid of the Windows portion that is on the unit.

Comment

Working...
                X