This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

latest kubuntu (12.04) installation won't respond to my mouse properly

I'm running Kubuntu off the CD now and everything seems to work OK. I can click on anything and it works.

When I installed it to my hard disk, about all I can do is click on the menu icon at the bottom left and the menu pops open and shut. Clicks anywhere else don't work, or sometimes do strange things. I cannot even get to the "leave" tab to shutdown.

In fact I just noticed that with this latest version, running off the live CD, when I open the main menu and move the mouse over the tabs at the bottom, it automatically displays the next tab. That does not work on the hard disk installation. I can click and bring up the main menu, but it does not change tabs whether I click or even just hover.

Since the system can recognize a click on the main menu, the mouse must be working. Since the main menu does not switch tabs by just moving the mouse, it must be more than just a problem with button events.

FYI:
    - It's the latest version of kubuntu, which I downloaded yesterday.
    - I already had the disk partitioned 2G /, 1G swap and the rest /home, but I reformatted the partitions so it can't be anything left over from the previous installation.
    - During installation, I clicked on the "download stuff as needed" and "update packages" options.
    - The same hardware was working fine with an earlier kubuntu version I was running until yesterday, I think it was 11.04.
    - I did the "check the disk" option on the kubuntu CD and there was no problem.

Any ideas on how to get the installation to work?

I would suggest reinstalling (formatting the root had /home partitions again) and this time, don't select the "download stuff as needed" and "update packages" options. Once done and you reboot see if you still have the problems.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

If the problem still exists: can you get to the leave menu via the keyboard?

Alt-F1 to show the K menu (I think it's Alt-F1 by default; I've customised mine)
      then arrow right until Leave is active, and arrow down to select restart or whatever.

What I'm interested in is whether it's just the mouse, or something wider.

If it is the mouse I would run xev from a konsole window then move & click the mouse in the test window and see if the right button events are fired.
      I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by Raichu View Post
        - I already had the disk partitioned 2G /, 1G swap and the rest /home, but I reformatted the partitions so it can't be anything left over from the previous installation.

Any ideas on how to get the installation to work?
        2Gig for / may not be quite enough if root fills up or gets to full weird things can in sue

may I suggest at least 4Gig for root if not more ,mine is 21Gigs and 12Gig's are being used........but I have a lot of stuff installed even the kitchen sink .....LOL

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          2Gig for / may not be quite enough if root fills up or gets to full weird things can in sue
          Good observation Vinny.

Here, I setup my partitions as: 2 GB for swap, 15GB for root ( / ), and 100GB for home ( /home ). I keep a very clean system, and only two kernels at a time. My root partition is currently using 5.42GB out of the 15GB.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            Good observation Vinny.

Here, I setup my partitions as: 2 GB for swap, 15GB for root ( / ), and 100GB for home ( /home ). I keep a very clean system, and only two kernels at a time. My root partition is currently using 5.42GB out of the 15GB.
            now that looks like a reasonable partitioning and setup scheme IMO

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

Sorry, my partition sizes were fine. I just reported them wrong.

I tried the keyboard, and Alt-F1 brought up the menu, but the arrow keys would not operate it. So it may be more than mouse events that are bozo. Mouse and keyboard worked fine on the login screen.

So I tried the other suggestion, to install without the download/u;date options, and that seems to have worked so far. I still have a few things to install, so I'll see how I go.

Comment

hello!
                It's happening to me too, same things: live CD ok, login screen ok, and then on the desktop just a mess.. (like click on k-menu nothing popsup, or if popped up lately no click and hover responses)
                but i noticed something else..
                The system actually responds to interactions but for some reason doesn't refresh the screen..
                try hold CTRL+F1 it will force the screen to refresh repeatedly as it shows the 'desktop 1'
                the system will get almost usable...
                i didn't found a solution yet, i guess it's something related to the videocard or to the xorg.conf...
                i tried adding xforcevesa and/or nomodeset options to the grub, without any effect..
                i have a NVidia GE-Force 8600 GT.
                It's not a pc that i have at home so i can't spend much time trying on it..
                but one of these days i must try this... http://dragly.org/2012/05/04/install...kubuntu-12-04/.
                i will let you know..

Comment

There are several threads on this theme, e.g. http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...onding-desktop

What worked for me was:
                  ... a failsafe login (click on the little down arrow) and then system settings, desktop effects, all effects tab, disable Blur, apply, logout, and I could login to KDE properly, (KDE plasma I think it's called) ...

Regards, John Little
                  Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                  X