X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu to replace Mandriva sharing a machine with Windows

Hello,

I have Mandriva sharing a machine with Windows XP. I downloaded the Kubuntu Desktop and liked what I saw. Will I be able to install it to overide the Mandriva in it's partition without disturbing Windows XP in its partition?

Thank you.

Sure, just install Kubuntu on the partition that Mandriva is currently on, and don't touch the XP partition. This means that you must do a manual partition instead of the default partitioning that Kubuntu will offer. Selecting the manual mode you will be presented with the existing partitions and asked to select the one you want to install Kubuntu on. Chose the Mandriva partition. If a swap partition is shown leave it alone. Kubuntu will use it when it boots up. Include the format option for that partition to ensure that it is clean for the install. When Grub is replaced it will contain only XP and Kubuntu boot options.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      Sure, just install Kubuntu on the partition that Mandriva is currently on, and don't touch the XP partition. This means that you must do a manual partition instead of the default partitioning that Kubuntu will offer. Selecting the manual mode you will be presented with the existing partitions and asked to select the one you want to install Kubuntu on. Chose the Mandriva partition. If a swap partition is shown leave it alone. Kubuntu will use it when it boots up. Include the format option for that partition to ensure that it is clean for the install. When Grub is replaced it will contain only XP and Kubuntu boot options.
      Thank you I will give it a try. Liked your bottom line, my 76 years finds the ranks in front of me thinning seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by elder73 View Post
        Thank you I will give it a try. Liked your bottom line, my 76 years finds the ranks in front of me thinning seriously.
        Me too, and I keep telling those behind me to "STOP SHOVING!", I'm in no hurry.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X