This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disabling trackpad "tapping"

Interestingly, my biggest annoyance using Kubuntu comes not from learning the sheer number of technicalities of Linux, but from my not being able to disable the "tapping" as single-clicking on my trackpad in KDE. How do I configure KDE so it doesn't act on the tapping motion of my trackpad?

Re: Disabling trackpad "tapping"

http://equickfixes.com/2006/02/11/di...icks-in-linux/
    that is a quick how-to to disable it,

http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man5/synaptics.5.html
    That is a man page that is related to the settings involved. If you aren't familiar with config files, this one won't mean much.

By default (i think -- could be wrong) maxtaptime is already set in your xorg.conf if you have a touchpad. Just change the value to 0 :-) (then, if you tap for more then 0 milliseconds, then it won't read the tap.)

Hope it helps!

Comment

i found my xorg.conf file but do not see a parameter called or remotely resembling 'maxtaptime'. There is a Synaptics Touchpad entry as an InputDevice listed, but that parameter is not found under there. Nor is 'maxtaptime' found anyplace in the rest of the file.

Am I supposed to annex the line 'maxtaptime=0' under the Synaptics Touchpad entry? BTW, I am very new to configuration files.

Comment

Under the synaptics touchpad section, you should then add the maxtaptime line as follows:

(between the SECTION and END SECTION lines of the touchpad)

MaxTapTime = 0

I am not totally sure whether it is case sensitive or not, but knowing linux, the former is by far the most likely -- that capitalization is in my conf, so i figure it will work

No worries being new to config files. I think you'll grow on them (i know i have. I love being able to set the defaults for things on my system -- not like windows where the defaults are the defaults. period.). In any case, think of them as the linux equivalent of a windows .inf file (not the same syntax, but essentially the same function. And also like a .inf, they can have lines inserted and removed as you need them to be)

Comment

Working...
        X